Randy's recipe #1 - 1st approaching

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

My name's Eduardo from Brazil.

I'm trying to use the Randy's recipe number #1 but getting some trouble during the mixing.

The stuff is resting from now two hours, shaken it some times during this but doesn't getting clear at all!

See(1500ml (each) container):
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG

What I used (Grams and milliliters):
Sem título.png

I made all the calculation to get 1200ml final volume:
->158,30 grams - Calcium CaCl2.2H2O - Purest PA solution
->216,57 grams - MgSO4.7H2O + 359,7 grams - MgCl2.6H2O - Purest PA solution
->188,07 grams - NaHCO3 - ROYAL SODIUM BICARBONATE BUFFER - Royal Nature (pure NaHCO3 according to manufacturer)

Why magnesium part and alkalinity part are not dissolving properly?

ps: forgot to bake (1H @150ºC) the NaHCO3 before mixing.

Please, help me !!

Thanks in advance.
E. Oliveira

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the alk part, my recipe #1 has it baked before use, which makes it much more soluble. Unbaked sodium bicarbonate is less soluble and is used more diluted in my recipe #2.

Magnesium chloride often has some calcium chloride in it, and when mixed with magnesium sulfate, some calcium sulfate may precipitate. It is not important to dose it, but if you do, it will dissolve in the aquarium.

OP
OP
Carlos Oliveira

Carlos Oliveira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy!

Really thanks for your prompt answer. I'm baking the bicarbonate and hope it's get a crystal clear alk part.

Regarding the magnesium part they're the same in both recipes #1 and #2 (3 and 5 chloride and sulfate mag for 1 gallon). Only the dosage is the half in the recipe #2. BUT using a 3 / 5 cups chloride/sulfate into 1 gallon of RO/DI water will never result a crystal clear compound? Therefore it's not possible to dose it through balling pumps due the precipitation(crystals in the botton)...?

I would like to dose the mag portion daily (even in smaller amounts) as other two part, because for me the idea to dose it all at once (610ml after 1 gallon of calc/alk) doesn't sounds properly, due the mag fluctuation.

Could you clarify my mind, please? :)

Cheers from your fans community in Brazil (Yes! you have it! lol)

E. Oliveira

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

The magnesium portion clarity will depend on the amount of calcium in the magnesium chloride, but it’s not really a concern to be fully dissolved.

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, sorry I have been reading soo much over the last few days. Appreciate all the posts they have been so helpful and blown my mind!

Question on the recipe, if I am using more ALK than CA daily, when would I dose the mag? When the ALK runs out? When both run out (wait for CA to run out)? Or 610ml for Alk then 610ml for CA

Thanks a bunch,
Dan

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, sorry I have been reading soo much over the last few days. Appreciate all the posts they have been so helpful and blown my mind!

Question on the recipe, if I am using more ALK than CA daily, when would I dose the mag? When the ALK runs out? When both run out (wait for CA to run out)? Or 610ml for Alk then 610ml for CA

Thanks a bunch,
Dan

@Randy Holmes-Farley

Thanks!

It is 610 mL total when you dosed a gallon of alk and calcium.

if you are dosing significantly different alk than calcium, I’d base the magnesium dosing off usage of the calcium part. No need to wait to finish a jug, just dose it in the ratio of 610 mL of the mag part for each gallon of the calcium part.

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is amazing! Thank you very much! I haven’t even started dosing the stuff yet but because I’ve read soo many articles, I wanted to make sure! Thanks again!! @Randy Holmes-Farley

Gadbery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are yall finding the MAG Flakes.... Im in the south so local stores do not sell this brand around me and cant really find it online. So if your buying it online help me out with a link !!!!

vandanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Randy, hope all is well. Feel like this is a silly question. When adjusting salinity for your recipe. Is that just simply taking out salt water and replacing it with RO water? Or, is this done via water changes?

Depending on your response, when should I adjust the salinity? After I have added the 610ml mag solution? Wait a day, week? I don’t want my salinity to be at dangerous levels if I can help it!

thanks a lot!
@Randy Holmes-Farley

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back