RANK these things I should get FIRST.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some necessary things I need to get that I never got at the beginning. I have a 32 gallon Biocube planning to keep 5 fish and mostly LPS. I’m in the diatoms/cyano phase right now.

Things I need to get
1. BRS 4 Stage Value 75GPD RO/DI System
2. Jebao RW-4
3. New test kits

My water is high in phosphates (.25-.5) which is prolonging diatoms plus I don’t have a powerhead to move it off the sand bed and I just have the return pump. I need to get new test kits to replace garbage API tests (I want to get Hanna alk and phos ulr, Salifert nitrate, salifert calcium, and ph meter from Amazon)
Please tell me what you think I should get first, second, and last.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. RODI system
2. Test kits

Don't get the Jebao. Their pumps are fine but I don't like their powerheads. They just don't last. Really way to complicated for a small tank. Too many parts to break etc...Get a cheap Hydor and save yourself some dough. Use the dough to bake donuts. Sell the donuts to make money to buy a Hanna Alk checker. Skip the phosphate checker. You don't need it for an LPS tank. Red Sea Alk and MG.

pH meter??? Maybe if it interests you. Just curious, how much were you planning to spend on the pH meter?

But you'd be better off sending me any unsold donuts and/or left over money.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. RODI system
2. Test kits

Don't get the Jebao. Their pumps are fine but I don't like their powerheads. They just don't last. Get a Hydor and save yourself some dough. Use the dough to bake donuts. Sell the donuts to make money to buy a Hanna Alk checker. Skip the phosphate checker. You don't need it for an LPS tank. Red Sea Alk and MG.

pH meter??? Maybe if it interests you.

But you'd be better off sending me any unsold donuts and/or left over money.
Ok. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But now I got to fix the problem. So now it’s just 10 pounds of cure since there was no prevention. My API ph is very hard to tell the difference between colors. I’ll take those test kits into consideration.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. But now I got to fix the problem. So now it’s just 10 pounds of cure since there was no prevention. My API ph is very hard to tell the difference between colors. I’ll take those test kits into consideration.
The cure is RODI water. Don't sweat it. Start using RODI and do some water changes the diatoms will "eventually" go their own way. I know I'll get flamed for this but choose a cheap salt like IO and concentrate on getting your water changes done.

If you're just starting reefing take a deep, deep breadth.

Running a reef tank is like running along the knifes edge. A small step to the right or left and everything is out of whack. I hate to say it but get used to it. There I said it.

Better than a pH meter invest in a conductivity meter to measure salinity.

Refractometers are the devils tool designed to drive reefers mad. Really mad.

P.S. - Be thoughtful about your fish selection. Please god no tangs or triggers.

Last edited:

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some necessary things I need to get that I never got at the beginning. I have a 32 gallon Biocube planning to keep 5 fish and mostly LPS. I’m in the diatoms/cyano phase right now.

Things I need to get
1. BRS 4 Stage Value 75GPD RO/DI System
2. Jebao RW-4
3. New test kits

My water is high in phosphates (.25-.5) which is prolonging diatoms plus I don’t have a powerhead to move it off the sand bed and I just have the return pump. I need to get new test kits to replace garbage API tests (I want to get Hanna alk and phos ulr, Salifert nitrate, salifert calcium, and ph meter from Amazon)
Please tell me what you think I should get first, second, and last.
1. BRS 4 stage

Drain the tank as low as you can drain it with the fish still having enough room to stay fully submerged. Refill with RODI saltwater. Wait one week, repeat. The tank will get better each day after that. Never make your saltwater with tap water and conditioner. It works OK (still not ideal) in freshwater. It doesn't work at all in saltwater. Things will kind of stay alive, but they will eventually die because it weakens their immune system among other things. That's something they dont tell you when you start because people that are experienced assume it's obvious, and people at the fish store dont care. RODI water is the single most important thing in this hobby. If you want to be successful in the hobby, you need to focus on making the best water you can. Everything else falls into place if you start with good water and have patience.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cure is RODI water. Don't sweat it. Start using RODI and do some water changes the diatoms will "eventually" go their own way. I know I'll get flamed for this but choose a cheap salt like IO and concentrate on getting your water changes done.

If you're just starting reefing take a deep, deep breadth.

Running a reef tank is like running a long the knifes edge. A small step to the right or left and everything is out of whack. I hate to say it but get used to it. There I said it.

Better than a pH meter invest in a conductivity meter to measure salinity.

Refractometers are the devils tool designed to drive reefers mad. Really mad.
Alright. I'll most likely get that first. I don't blame you on the IO salt either. I use the purple bucket because it has the levels I want and its the cheapest. I'll also take not of the conductivity meter.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. BRS 4 stage

Drain the tank as low as you can drain it with the fish still having enough room to stay fully submerged. Refill with RODI saltwater. Wait one week, repeat. The tank will get better each day after that. Never make your saltwater with tap water and conditioner. It works OK (still not ideal) in freshwater. It doesn't work at all in saltwater. Things will kind of stay alive, but they will eventually die because it weakens their immune system among other things. That's something they dont tell you when you start because people that are experienced assume it's obvious, and people at the fish store dont care. RODI water is the single most important thing in this hobby. If you want to be successful in the hobby, you need to focus on making the best water you can. Everything else falls into place if you start with good water and have patience.
Ok. I know the prime hasnt been doing much but i do it for good measure for now. I'll get it an do some large water changes. Maybe not as large as your saying because salt still costs money, but ill definitely do 10 gallons a week instead of 5.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. BRS 4 stage

It's worth a thought to consider the water save upgrade for 150 gpd.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I know the prime hasnt been doing much but i do it for good measure for now. I'll get it an do some large water changes. Maybe not as large as your saying because salt still costs money, but ill definitely do 10 gallons a week instead of 5.
That's why you want to go with an inexpensive standard salt like IO. Don't let the price of salt get you down.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no point in doing water changes if you're using tap water. You're actually better off leaving the water in there because the chemicals in tap water dissipate naturally over time. If I were you I'd save my $ and buy the RODI system. A tank your size you can buy a 160 gallons worth of salt for $20-30 bucks. That's half a year worth of water changes. If you can't afford that, I'd suggest making your tank freshwater. It's only going to get more expensive from here.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no point in doing water changes if you're using tap water. You're actually better off leaving the water in there because the chemicals in tap water dissipate naturally over time. If I were you I'd save my $ and buy the RODI system. A tank your size you can buy a 160 gallons worth of salt for $20-30 bucks. That's half a year worth of water changes. If you can't afford that, I'd suggest making your tank freshwater. It's only going to get more expensive from here.
Man ReefCheef is telling like it is. Ahmen brother, going to get me some guppies!

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm saying when I get a RODI unit I'll do that. I'm going to get that unit in the next day or so.

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man and we drink the stuff! That's crazy!!!

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if they will and if so when? I'd assume easter (hence the name) but would be it be before/right now too?
You got it Sherlock! I don't really know. The best is to google and/or check their facebook posts if they had one last year. Ryan tends to repeat himself! Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back