Rant - Why do hobbyist price their corals like a store???

When i sell any livestock to local hobbyists, i usually give freebies (especially if i know they had a long drive to get here) and also sell for 1/5th or less compared to the price a LFS would sell for.
I make sure to advertise that i am a hobbyist like whoever is buying and not a store. I dont sell stuff from my aquarium as a job 😀

Yet there are people who still try to haggle even if i am selling something for $30 that is over $300 in any LFS or online. . When they do this it immediately tells me they are inexperienced and I usually shy away from selling them any livestock.
 
I do not believe the garage sellers have no overhead. They are growing coral that require light, flow and filtration all of them require power which I believe does require some capital to maintain plus what about the time involved to maintaining the system or systems and the fragging of the coral?
Thats not really overhead. Overhead is rent paying of employees insurances etc. Garage guys are paying rent/mortgage and electrical just like the rest of us. I couldnt imagine I bought a piece of coral snd charged the next guy a percentage of my electrical i used to grow it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new