RAP Recap: Hydros Maven

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are several intro videos and R2R threads about the Hydros Maven (an automatic water testing unit) available and I have read/listened to many of them. However, this past weekend at RAP Orlando 2024 was the first time that I had a chance to see the Maven in person. I have watched the evolution of auto testing units (I remember seeing the Reef Bot at MACNA in 2019) and there are many design features that impressed me with the Maven. In addition to the ease of cleaning, it especially like the process of rinsing with tank water, then RO water, then an air blow from a built-in air pump. This is similar to what I see on industrial systems and allows the user to have much more flexibility with what tests are run and when. My understanding is that, for example, you may choose to run any one of the tests on a daily basis and then run another test once a week (or whatever interval you choose). I think I heard that the Maven will be available later this year (Fall 2024). Auto testing devices aren't cheap and I don't expect the Maven to be any different (anticipating ~$1200), but this one has me leaning in.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good question. Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend enough time in the Aperture booth to form an opinion on the Trident NP. In my limited view of the Trident NP, it appear to only test Nitrate and Phosphate (which is a great option for certain situations especially if it comes with a lower price), whereas the Maven tests five parameters including calcium, alk, mag, nitrate, and phosphate.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I get alk but is there really a need to test the other parameters often enough to need auto testing? Especially at a $1k plus price point plus whatever the reagents cost? Just curious ;)

That's fair, but everything is relative and value varies for each reef keeper. I thought that a "pretty" commercial sump was unnecessary and a waste of money compared to the DIY sumps that I had used for decades, then I got a Reef Octopus sump and I'm very pleased with it. Spending $2k+ on a water mixing station is overkill and isn't a need, but I'm thrilled with mine. That said, I have several tanks and still use gravity ATOs, some AC pumps, and classic skimmers on the more utility systems. IMHO, it goes back to one of my basic tenants of reefkeeping - reef your reef!

...another tenant is to focus on being a water keeper first.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair, but everything is relative and value varies for each reef keeper. I thought that a "pretty" commercial sump was unnecessary and a waste of money compared to the DIY sumps that I had used for decades, then I got a Reef Octopus sump and I'm very pleased with it. Spending $2k+ on a water mixing station is overkill and isn't a need, but I'm thrilled with mine. That said, I have several tanks and still use gravity ATOs, some AC pumps, and classic skimmers on the more utility systems. IMHO, it goes back to one of my basic tenants of reefkeeping - reef your reef!

...another tenant is to focus on being a water keeper first.
Thanks. I probably shouldn't have even added the money factor. I just dumped over $10k on a tank so I get the buy it if you want it. Its always more fun buying wanted items vs needed ones.

OP
OP
Peace River

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An auto tester is not a need, but for somebody out there (maybe me?) the Maven will definitely bring joy! :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back