OP
OP
E

eveningstar15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered it, I ended up going with 10 Royal blue, 2 blue, 8 cool white, 2 uv, 1 red, 1 green. <br />
<br />
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk<br/>

joelpeavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While researching lighting for this very same setup (Coralife Biocube 29), I found several articles that noted the red and green wavelengths contribute to algae growth more than they assist in coral growth. Also saw a couple say that the cool white wasn't recommended for reef keeping and better suited for freshwater tanks with plants.
Not that I don't trust science, but I've found that sometimes what makes sense in science doesn't always transfer to reality or appliance. Anyone can weigh in and assist on this one based on experience?

Looking at the same setup from Rapid and the other question I have is what about moonlighting or night lights? I'm brand spanking new to the LED world and relied on MH with supplemented PC forever. So will I need a couple of special LED on a third driver in order to have a sunrise, midday, sunset and night cycle if I go with the Storm or Storm X? (Going to pose this question to the guys at Rapid as well)

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While researching lighting for this very same setup (Coralife Biocube 29), I found several articles that noted the red and green wavelengths contribute to algae growth more than they assist in coral growth. Also saw a couple say that the cool white wasn't recommended for reef keeping and better suited for freshwater tanks with plants.
Not that I don't trust science, but I've found that sometimes what makes sense in science doesn't always transfer to reality or appliance. Anyone can weigh in and assist on this one based on experience?

Looking at the same setup from Rapid and the other question I have is what about moonlighting or night lights? I'm brand spanking new to the LED world and relied on MH with supplemented PC forever. So will I need a couple of special LED on a third driver in order to have a sunrise, midday, sunset and night cycle if I go with the Storm or Storm X? (Going to pose this question to the guys at Rapid as well)

Been growing corals with LEDs since the debut of the Cree XT-E...Back in the day before disposable EBay imports.

Yes Terrestrial plants and Algae use the Red spectrum more than Coral...There is very little or no red past 10m.

For Plants and Algae, the Colour they reflect is Green. Green is a very low photosynthetic wavelength.

Cool White is a very ambiguous and open term...There are over 28 different spectrums of the Cree Cool White not to mention the intensity binning.

I prefer only specific Binned Cree Cool Whites for their spectrum and intensity. They have a serious 450nm grow spike, look great and are more efficient.

Seriously given documented spectral analysis of the Cree Whites. The right mix of warm and cool white is close to perfect for growth of terrestrial and fresh water plants.

Take this to the next level and add extra green and red for blooming and colour rendition...

The Storm Controller is enough as it provides 6 channels of control.

Moonlights are for taste unless you want a spawning event...Bad thing if your not ready for a quick water change.

Keep them low enough to not wake up the fish or coral but enough for you to view.

Lots if mis information online

Cheers

Bill

joelpeavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much Bill. I've been doing so much reading on LED stuff that I'm confused as to what I think I know anymore. My plan is to go with this combo:
4x UV LED (410-420nm)
12x Royal Blue (450-465nm)
4x Cool White (5,000-8,300K)
2x Neutral White (3,700-5,000K)
2x Green (520-535nm)

From what I can tell that will give me a decent color spectrum for viewing and provide the proper spectrum coverage to ensure health. Reading your comment about the green though, wondering if I shouldn't ditch them.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
joelpeavy

Here is my $.02

Double the 4x UV
No on the (450-465nm) only accept (450-455nm bins)
8x Cool White Binned at 7.5K dimmable to preference 10K all LEDs included v 20K. Go with 6 if you prefer the 20K look
No on the Neutral way too yellow
Trade the 2x Green for 2x Red only for looks...The Cool white already has lots of green. Make sure this is adjustable as too much red is not needed and promotes nuisance algae.

Works for me and others.

Cheers

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill, you are really coming along on the broad spectrum LED's with the added value of the Red. kudos and IMHO great advice given above.

Cheers. Todd

TrPPnN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, Bill, you have a complete fixture?! With a built in controller?! Guys... you really have to check out Bill's page again... You know the weblink... :) I think I'm gonna get me a couple...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%

Back