Rapidly receding mantle, what can I do?

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I got a new clam last Saturday and started having some issues with today with receding mantle tissue that's rapidly progressing.

Around 1PM the mantle looked a little flappy around the end and I thought it might be too much flow. It was almost non responsive to light but the valves were moving and flesh were full so I decided to leave it there.
20210331_130145.jpg

20210331_130151.jpg

20210331_130911.jpg

20210331_135703.jpg

Fast forward 5 hours, it looked completely dead with what looked like empty partly open shell with falling apart tissue. Unfortunately no photos here since I tried to remove it from the tank.

As I was taking touching it I realized the clam was still alive and moved it to this spot for further observation and away from flow. Currently it looks like this and it's definitely alive but unresponsive to shadows.
20210331_215601.jpg

Few additional information:
Clam placed on a frag disc half buried in sand. It attempted to upright itself and fell off once on Monday where it seems to have byssal mass stringing though I don't think foot was hurt.

Tank is 2~3 years old and has been mixed reef with for more than a year. I've been running high nutrients for about half an year as LPS and Zoas were my focus here.

Most recent parameter are from about 3 weeks ago.
PH: 8.2
Salinity 1.0255
Mg: 1320-1340ppm
Ca: 385ppm
Alk: 7.1dKH
Nitrate: 25ppm - irrelevant
Phosphate: 0.17ppm - irrelevant

Nutrients won't be relevant. I moved most of my pieces to a frag tank and to focus more on colors of acro. I did several large WC probably totalling about 60~70% were done along with lowered feeding. This was completed week prior to clam moving in and no other pieces are affected.

Here's the full tank shot, clam was on the center sand bed prior to today.
20210331_220449.jpg

Please excuse the mess haha. I'm in a transition period with ton of new pieces and old pieces removed.

TLDR: Clam getting worse rapidly, looked dead but is alive. What does it look like and what can I do?

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's on his side in every picture you posted? So I have to ask... are you sitting him up straight?

The mantle needs to be pointed straight up directly at the light. He can't open on his side.

The higher in the tank the better for small guys.

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's on his side in every picture you posted? So I have to ask... are you sitting him up straight?

The mantle needs to be pointed straight up directly at the light. He can't open on his side.

The higher in the tank the better for small guys.
Thanks for the response! All the photos are from today, He was sitting up straight until he tipped off the disc and rubes about 2 days ago. I saw byssal strings when he fell over so I wasn't sure to prop him back up. Do you think I should try uprighting again?

As for height, my rock work has no easy area for it to be on and only places it's Euphyllia all below so I wanted to attach to disc before raising it.

With that said my tank center is much higher par then it looks because of the way the lights are set. Can't remember the number but I have Purple Bonsai-esq acro and Red Planet growing there for an year.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response! All the photos are from today, He was sitting up straight until he tipped off the disc and rubes about 2 days ago. I saw byssal strings when he fell over so I wasn't sure to prop him back up. Do you think I should try uprighting again?

As for height, my rock work has no easy area for it to be on and only places it's Euphyllia all below so I wanted to attach to disc before raising it.

With that said my tank center is much higher par then it looks because of the way the lights are set. Can't remember the number but I have Purple Bonsai-esq acro and Red Planet growing there for an year.

You need to constantly upright him. He can't on his own if he's not attached. He's not going to attach as long as people/inhabitants are touching him. Nor will he attached if he doesn't find the conditions favorable..

It's really a catch 22. You got to put him in the perfect spot and leave him alone to attach.

OP
OP
L

Luciferene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to constantly upright him. He can't on his own if he's not attached. He's not going to attach as long as people/inhabitants are touching him. Nor will he attached if he doesn't find the conditions favorable..

It's really a catch 22. You got to put him in the perfect spot and leave him alone to attach.
Thanks I'll upright it. Do you think the skin receding is from the flow or lack of light from being on the side? I'm debating the location to put it.

Back