I lost my squamosina yesterday

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,707
Reaction score
2,312
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been doing great, lots of white shell growth and great mantle extension then 2 days ago it was holding its inlet open wide at the top. The first day mantle extension was still good, the yesterday it was mostly closed with no mantle extension at all. Last night the cleaner shrimp kept crawling on it and digging out meat from the inside. At that point it was gone. 48 hours from healthy clam to dead clam. My other clams are doing great, knock on wood! When I pulled it out, the flesh that covers the bottom front hinge was gone, like it just receded away?

RIP gorgeous clam, the one on the bottom.
IMG_0383.jpeg
 
Sorry… clams are the next thing I’m looking to try… they’re so cool. Really sorry about that beauty :-/
 
You aren't alone. I've lost multiple of these guys, similar situation. They look great for a while, might even put on some new shell. Then start to pull back and are gone in a few days. I suspect that being from the red sea they're getting exposed to perkinsus or something similar from the Pacific cultured clams that they haven't developed resistance to fight off and eventually succumb to.
I've tried dipping mine in metroplex for 30 minutes but it didn't seem to help much. (Didn't seem to make it worse either)
 
Sorry for you loss, it's always tough losing a clam, especially in cases like this. I might agree about mixing Red Sea with Pacific clams may be an issue, it was the case with my clams or I suspect.
 
I did some reading on Perkinsus in Squamosina clams. Matching up the symptoms - like the wide-open inlet siphon and the mantle extension—this sounds like what's happening to a "T." Lesson learned: I think I just need to stick with Indo-Pacific clams from here on out, since they are all doing just fine.
 
It does look like someone's had success with this species at least, goldenstatecorals has one for sale they say they've had for 6 months and it looks like it's in with clams from the pacific from their pics.
I actually picked one up from Jersey corals last week on an auction with obvious new growth that seems to be doing ok so far so here's hoping, sitting in ~400 par.
 
Sorry for the loss. Clams have been tougher for me than any coral. My derasa do well for a year or two then develope a broken hing. All have been on the sand growing well then all of a sudden they'll start leaning over and that's the begining of the end. My third one is starting now. Its leaning over and I see the chutes are starting to get out of alignment so I know the end is near. It's more than doubled in size and looks great. My first broken hinge was one that had been in for a few years and grown from 2" to over 6" when it developed broken hinge. I've also lost a crocea and 2 Maximas over the years. I have one crocea left and will probably give up on clams when that one is gone.
 
Last edited:
It does look like someone's had success with this species at least, goldenstatecorals has one for sale they say they've had for 6 months and it looks like it's in with clams from the pacific from their pics.
I actually picked one up from Jersey corals last week on an auction with obvious new growth that seems to be doing ok so far so here's hoping, sitting in ~400 par.
I've see this clam in person at least once a week ever since he got it. It's been growing nicely and he sold the other one at RAP last month. He also has some really cool noae from Western Australia. I think he's going to post some up on his site soon, if not already.
But to address mixing clams from different oceans, I tend to agree, as it may be easier not to mix them, but if you have healthy clams and do a full QT, then you're probably okay mixing them. There are a lot of unknown pathogens that we still don't understand or know about that affect perfectly healthy clams, so there's always a risk.
 
Have you noticed iron being a problem with tridacnas? I came across an article about some species of perkinsus being iron limited and wondered if dosing it could cause more problems than it solved.
In contrast to that article, clam mania said during an interview that he doses it if his clams start to look off.
 
Have you noticed iron being a problem with tridacnas? I came across an article about some species of perkinsus being iron limited and wondered if dosing it could cause more problems than it solved.
In contrast to that article, clam mania said during an interview that he doses it if his clams start to look off.
I dose traces daily, especially the ones that are easily depleted on a daily basis, iodine, manganese and iron. I do this for general tank and coral health, whether it has an impact on clams or not, I'm not sure?
 
I dose traces daily, especially the ones that are easily depleted on a daily basis, iodine, manganese and iron. I do this for general tank and coral health, whether it has an impact on clams or not, I'm not sure?
Iodine and iodide can be catastrophic if overdosed. I wouldnt dose any chem that I dont test for.
 
I dose traces daily, especially the ones that are easily depleted on a daily basis, iodine, manganese and iron. I do this for general tank and coral health, whether it has an impact on clams or not, I'm not sure?
I've been dosing a Tropic Marin A- and K+, in smaller doses than recommended by TM. I've been doing this since my last ICP test came back with a few traces a bit low. I've been doing this for the last 2 months and plan on sending off another ICP in a month to see if I need to increase, decrease, or maintain my dosage. All of my other clams from the Pacific seem to be doing great.
 
I'd be curious to know what traces these guys use and if they differ much from corals. Of course people have been keeping them successfully longer than trace dosing has been a thing so I doubt that's really a barrier to success.
My most recent icp only really showed lower vanadium, iron, and manganese. I started dosing the latter two (both were undetectable) but I already use Notafeesh's all in two hydroxide blend that has traces in it anyway. I've got 7 in a 112 but all are on the smaller side.
 
I've been dosing a Tropic Marin A- and K+, in smaller doses than recommended by TM. I've been doing this since my last ICP test came back with a few traces a bit low. I've been doing this for the last 2 months and plan on sending off another ICP in a month to see if I need to increase, decrease, or maintain my dosage. All of my other clams from the Pacific seem to be doing great.
I’ve been under dosing A and K for the better part of the year and I’ve found that I have to add a few more on top, two of them being iodide (Seachem iodide, 2 drops per 100g) and manganese. I did an ICP a while back and I recommend doing ICP if you’re dosing traces or at least test for the things you dose to see their consumption. I’m due for another ICP soon, but I’m sure clams utilize plenty of traces, as they house zoox within their mantles. I don’t like to add traces beyond what’s found in NSW as other methods recommend, I just want to make sure they are available and not completely depleted. Having a little is way better than having too much. But I’ll have to take a deep dive and see if there’s any research associated with trace elements and clams.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 29.2%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new