Rasta zoas won't open up but other zoas doing fine

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 small zoa frags (1 watermelon, 2 utter chaos, 1 rasta)

The rasta and utter chaos are about 2 weeks old, the watermelon about a month.

Since I've gotten them, the rastas have not really opened up much if at all. The others are all doing fine. The watermelons have spread a little bit even.

I dipped everything before adding to the tank, and didn't see any nudis fall off. I also inspected the frags best I could and did not see any eggs either.

Water parameters:
Mg 1600
Ca 520
kH 10
nitrates 2
phosphates 0
pH 8

I thought maybe it was the light or flow, so I moved the frag a few days ago, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I did notice a little red-brown thing on one of the closed polyps, but it doesn't resemble any nudibranchs I've seen. I've included a picture just in case.

IMG_2123.JPG

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my rastas they wouldn't open either. I ended up having to move mine to much lower light before they'd open. They're basically now under a ledge and seem happy there.

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my rastas they wouldn't open either. I ended up having to move mine to much lower light before they'd open. They're basically now under a ledge and seem happy there.

Huh that's surprising. I was under the impression that all zoas have the same light preference, since the other zoas I have are pretty near by and they're all doing well. I'm going to dip them again tonight and if they don't open up in a few days I'll try moving them somewhere darker.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh that's surprising. I was under the impression that all zoas have the same light preference, since the other zoas I have are pretty near by and they're all doing well. I'm going to dip them again tonight and if they don't open up in a few days I'll try moving them somewhere darker.
I don't have any idea if different zoa require different light/ flow requirements, but my rastas were on a frag rack right beside some fire and ice, mandarin, and utter chaos frags and everything was open other than the rastas. I moved them to low light, honestly much lower light than I would've thought they would want, and within a day they opened up. I don't know if lower light would help yours or not but it did for mine.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different types of zoas definetely can differ in hoe much light is ideal. Ideal can also change depending whether goal is growth or color.

Also you mention not seeing nudis several times, but just going to point out there are many other zoa pests/issues as bad or worse than nudis. Sundial snails, spiders, zoapox, are some of most common.

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different types of zoas definetely can differ in hoe much light is ideal. Ideal can also change depending whether goal is growth or color.

Also you mention not seeing nudis several times, but just going to point out there are many other zoa pests/issues as bad or worse than nudis. Sundial snails, spiders, zoapox, are some of most common.

I checked google images, and it doesn't appear like any of these is the issue, unless that little red dot thing is a spider? Anybody know what it might be? It's the one on the zoa in the middle of the colony.

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happens to me too. i just pick it up and dip it with coral dip Rx. Then its back to normal again.

Just finished dipping it. Also adjusted the flow in the tank to be less unidirectional. Nothing came off during the dip except a ton of copepods, which I doubt harms the corals. Also, the red stuff rubbed off pretty easily so I guess it was just cyano? Hopefully the open up soon but who knows. Let's see what happens I guess.

zacoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished dipping it. Also adjusted the flow in the tank to be less unidirectional. Nothing came off during the dip except a ton of copepods, which I doubt harms the corals. Also, the red stuff rubbed off pretty easily so I guess it was just cyano? Hopefully the open up soon but who knows. Let's see what happens I guess.
update?

OP
OP
BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They never opened up. I threw them out just in case it was something that might spread to my other zoas. The other colonies are all doing well so far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back