Raymond G's 10 Gallon Nano

Raymond Gathright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After several years in the hobby, and learning just enough to get myself into some serious trouble ;-) I've decided to try my hand at a nano, for grins and giggles.
This is just a basic 10 gallon setup, with a standard heater, HOB filter, and a hood with 9 white LEDs. I've painted the back black and sealed it.
I've added 20 pounds of black sand and about 11 or 12 pounds of rock... I'll probably add another 5 or 10 before it's done. I'm in no rush, Its actually been cycling for a few months now.
I'm giving serious thought to making my own protein skimmer, based on the ReefOctopus design. I do fine scale modeling, so I think I can work this out.
I'll end up adding blues and probably some multi-colored LEDs. Each set up on timers. I'll see how that works and go from there.
I know I should have started this build thread a bit sooner. Still,

20190407_200100.jpg
I'm going to take my time and have fun with it.
Thanks, Raymond

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice so far. I built a large pill bottle skimmer when I had my 3 gal nano. I am glad I started my hand in saltwater with such a small tank. It makes having a larger tank now a breeze..[emoji23]
Is there a reason you want to add more rock work? I like the look of what you have now.

OP
OP
Raymond Gathright

Raymond Gathright

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice so far. I built a large pill bottle skimmer when I had my 3 gal nano. I am glad I started my hand in saltwater with such a small tank. It makes having a larger tank now a breeze..[emoji23]
Is there a reason you want to add more rock work? I like the look of what you have now.
I don't know, honestly. I'm coming over from a 75 gallon, and it just looks light to me. That, and I don't know if I like the dark piece in the middle.
I may take it out and replace it with a slightly heavier piece, with more holes. My ultimate goal is to have a few firefish in the water column, along with a pistol shrimp and perhaps a bonded pair of very small shrimp gobys.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, honestly. I'm coming over from a 75 gallon, and it just looks light to me. That, and I don't know if I like the dark piece in the middle.
I may take it out and replace it with a slightly heavier piece, with more holes. My ultimate goal is to have a few firefish in the water column, along with a pistol shrimp and perhaps a bonded pair of very small shrimp gobys.
Like you said you are moving from a 75.. remember rock takes up volume, more rock means less critters. You might be able to add another 2 pounds or so or rubble rock, but I would not do more then that.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back