Razorfish/Shrimpfish

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rispa, I have always had urchins in my tank. I like them all and they seem to all live about 10 years. I also like club urchins but I am amazed at how the long spined urchins get around.

This guy is smaller. He may be a local New York one I collected, I used to have an urchin collection business.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rispa, I have always had urchins in my tank. I like them all and they seem to all live about 10 years. I also like club urchins but I am amazed at how the long spined urchins get around.

This guy is smaller. He may be a local New York one I collected, I used to have an urchin collection business.

I was rethinking the long spine because of how big they get. For the time being I'm planning on doing this in a 55g and a long spine will get too big .I don't want to cramp his style.

The guy you have pictured looks awesome. Let me know if you sort out what he is. Also is he remodeling you tank in that pic?

I can see doing a club urchin. Then I don't have to worrry about getting urchin pecked;Chicken

oceaninabox12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you keep them off have kept them? Does anyone know anything about their reproducing? I found a paper about it in another language ND some basic info about their husbandry but it didn't seem like people have put out any info recently.
Hey there! I recently went to the loveland aquarium in Utah where they have razorfish, and as a saltwater fish addict i went home and started trying to find information on them to see if it was possible to get them. I had the same problem as you. But what i did see at that aquarium is that they were in the same tank as some decent sized seahorses and they were eating frozen food.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I recently went to the loveland aquarium in Utah where they have razorfish, and as a saltwater fish addict i went home and started trying to find information on them to see if it was possible to get them. I had the same problem as you. But what i did see at that aquarium is that they were in the same tank as some decent sized seahorses and they were eating frozen food.
I found enough info that I could probably give a go to raising the which is my plan. It'll be a while because I'll need to set up and stabilize a tank, but my interest started years ago and I don't see it changing.

oceaninabox12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found enough info that I could probably give a go to raising the which is my plan. It'll be a while because I'll need to set up and stabilize a tank, but my interest started years ago and I don't see it changing.
That is really cool. You should let me know how it goes for you!!

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what did you find out on them? Did you find a place that sells them?
I think most places that regularly carry fish can get them in if you ask. I believe liveaquaria had them in recently.

This is the best info I've found about rearing them https://www.aquarium.co.za/blog/entry/razorfish-larval-rearing

Aside from that feed livefood along with frozen, try PaulB's feeder, and they can take stronger flow than pipefish and seahorses.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 52 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.1%
Back