Razorfish/Shrimpfish

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you keep them off have kept them? Does anyone know anything about their reproducing? I found a paper about it in another language ND some basic info about their husbandry but it didn't seem like people have put out any info recently.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone in the #reefsquad have any experience with these fish?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure that @Paul B has kept shrimpfish and since everything he has breeds in his tank, then he must know something helpful here. :)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some here at my feeder.

Not a real easy fish because they can and should eat new born brine shrimp constantly, like many more than mandarins. They are very thin and have no fat reserves that I can tell. I also don't think they will eat anything that is not in the water column. I have kept them a few times and none of them were successful ventures in my mixed reef. You can probably keep them in a separate tank by constantly hatching shrimp.
I really like them but I can't keep them for long in my tank with so many other fish that eat the same food. I wish I could. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some here at my feeder.

Not a real easy fish because they can and should eat new born brine shrimp constantly, like many more than mandarins. They are very thin and have no fat reserves that I can tell. I also don't think they will eat anything that is not in the water column. I have kept them a few times and none of them were successful ventures in my mixed reef. You can probably keep them in a separate tank by constantly hatching shrimp.
I really like them but I can't keep them for long in my tank with so many other fish that eat the same food. I wish I could. :rolleyes:

I'm planning to create a tank around their needs and I'm going to try my hand at growing different livefoods including mysis before I get them. Actually I can't decide which track to put them in. I was going to use a 40 gallon hex, but my mom is giving me her 10 year old 55 gallon, so that's another possibility. Which do you think that will be happier in? Do they prefer vertical or horizontal space to swim in? Whichever tank I go with will be converted into an urchin/shrimpfish tank for the purpose of attempting to keep and raise these fish.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be Happy in either tank as they need verticle swimming room rather than horizontal room. They get about 6" long and only swim vertically unless they are in a hurry. I don't know if mysis will work because i didn 't try them, but they can continousely eat live brine shrimp and they are better in the feeder I made because they don't eat from the surface. I also doubt they will eat frozen food. In the sea they swim in sea urchin spines but they ignored by very large long spined urchin. Good luck, very interesting fish

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which urchin do you think is best to keep with them?

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read post about this guy. I think it's very cool that you were about to capture this.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be ridiculous! He wags his tail and thanks me on Twitter
Do you have any idea if they would be okay in a tank with a bubble tip anemone. I'm finding I love the colors now adays. I originally set up the 55g 10 years ago and I do not remember colors like these. If not I may need to plan for a 3rd tank ...
1) pipefish (attempted) breeding with lots of different pipefish
2) shrimpfish and sea urchin (attempted) breeding
3) a tank filled with bubble tips
(plus all the freshwater tanks we have planned. Is there a place to post about freshwater on here? I about to go look for one.)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rispa I really have no idea how they would fare with anemones as I have not had anemones in many years. But I do remember once losing a pipefish and a seahorse to a pink tipped anemone.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rispa I really have no idea how they would fare with anemones as I have not had anemones in many years. But I do remember once losing a pipefish and a seahorse to a pink tipped anemone.
I'll be doing more reading and will post if I find anything that might answer this question. I do think that they seem to be better swimmers than pipefish and seahorses and they use a different part of the water column to swim in.

OP
OP
Rispa

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paul B if you were to try a smaller variety of urchin with the shrimpfish what would it be and why?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back