RBTA Problems

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone knew what caused RBTA tentacles to look deformed like you see in the pictures. They eat every 3-5 days.

A1.JPG

A2.JPG

A3.JPG

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are all the conditions in your tank? Lighting, Nitrates, flow. How old is your tank? How long has the RBTA been in this particular tank? Have you recently changed lighting? How old are you bulbs?

From first glance, I'd guess it might be a flow issue. Although, if it were a flow or lighting issue, usually a BTA would attempt to move to a "happier" place. As long as it's getting enough lighting, I'd suggest stopping the feedings for awhile and see if anything improves. You'd probably have to stop for quite some time, while not making any other changes, to figure out if it's a feeding issue.

The only reason I suggest this is that if an anemone is getting enough light, it really doesn't need to be fed at all. I have a HUGE RBTA and give it incidental feedings about once or twice a month...lol.

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All params are ok. Calc is a little low and so is Mag. Its about stable again after dosing.
Talk in over a year old
RBTA has been in here 4 months, it was fine for a while then started looking bad, split and btoh deformed.
Lighting has been in there 8 months max. 12k 250W REflux SE

The BTA has not moved since he went in the tank.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long's it been since it split? They can sometimes take a while to completely recover. IME, feeding can lead to more cloning. They don't need the extra meat (though are normally more than happy to snatch some;)).

OP
OP
MikeB

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone looked bad before it split. We have stopped feeding it but I have heard if you dont feed it will split.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browns;190267 but I have heard if you dont feed it will split.[/QUOTE said:
just the oposite. the clowns might be to ruff on it. I had 1 before that did the same with my clowns

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cloned by playing with the feeding cycle. When I didn't want any more, I quit feeding and they stopped splitting.

I had a tank crash that caused them to split hnumerous times in a couple of days. I went from two or three to something like eight in under a week. Everything else was dying off, and the GBTA's split for proliferation, I guess.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 95 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 115 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back