RBTA Reproduction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter radiata
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 2, 2015
Messages
1,163
Reaction score
781
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know if RBTAs reproduce via pedal laceration?

I've got a 3/4" bright pink thing in my tank, and I don't know what it is or how it got there. Several months ago I ripped 5 RBTAs from the tank, but left one with my clownfish. The pink thing is the same coloration as the RBTAs. I was aggressive in removing them, so I could have left a small piece behind. If the thing is a baby RBTA, I don't see how it could have been produced sexually because then I should have more than one. If it isn't a baby RBTA, I have no idea what it might be as no non anemones in the tank have the same pink coloration.

It isn't where I can get a photo of it - I'd need a waterproof camera for that.

Any thoughts?
 
BTAs can’t survive from just a piece of the foot unless a piece of the mouth was also attached. It could be a pest anemone
 
Some days I'm so clever I make myself sick. I put a mirror in my tank and took a picture of the Pink Thing's reflection.
Pink Thing.jpg


Top to bottom is is about 3/4 of an inch. The bar crossing the top of it is the pointy end of a cursed vermetid snail. The Thing's pink spikes are flexible and wave in the current. It is attached to some coralline algae growing in the front lower corner of a tank.

What is this Thing?
 
Looks like a bleached bta . Could of been a split that was hiding
 
A "bleached RBTA" is certainly a reasonable explanation. But, any idea why this one is so small? Don't RBTAs split in two or three pieces in much larger sizes? (Mine do, and their diameters seem to be 2 to 3 inches.) But if a split nem wound up in a dark part of the tank, and was never fed by a clown fish, would it shrink to a smaller size, like less that a 1"diameter? I think such a shrinking RBTA might explain this one.

Any thoughts?
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new