Re-Ignite interest

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure many have gone through it before and just looking for some insight and some advice. Lately I've just been feeling very down mentally with things. This in return has led to my activity on here as well as the quality of my tank dropping down. I've barely been keeping up with water/changes and topping off, the sand bed and glass could definitely use a good cleaning. Pretty much the whole tank needs a major makeover and maybe some new CUC added. I just don't know how to get the spark or fire back for the hobby. To be honest it's not just this hobby that I've fallen out of, but I know if I can find a way to get back into it and get my spark and interest back that maybe it will also help with mental health to start getting back into a positive attitude. I've been debating about doing my maintenance on this tank and maybe using my spare 10 gallon tank to start up a little nano tank to get running with my little guy. Just curious what others have done when they felt like the flame in the hobby burned out to stay motivated. Up until the last 3 years, I took a well over a 10 year break from the hobby and greatly regretted it so I don't want to wind up doing the same thing again.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't say much as I haven't been back in the hobby in some time and i do not know your current tank size, I would do exactly what you said.. restart .break it down, out with the old in with the new... if you have a big tank .. downsize .. change the theme of the tank ..

OP
OP
JZ199

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can't say much as I haven't been back in the hobby in some time and i do not know your current tank size, I would do exactly what you said.. restart .break it down, out with the old in with the new... if you have a big tank .. downsize .. change the theme of the tank ..
The one I have running currently is a 32.5 Fluval Flex, currently no corals, only 2 clownfish a royal gramma and pencil urchin

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't take much to find out. Mix up some water, scrape the glass, siphon out some nasty gunk as part of a water change. If you cannot muster enough to do this, then it might be a good idea to get those live creatures into hands who can care for them. You will likely find that this is easy enough to do and that caring for things that you made a commitment to is enough motivation.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new project always gets me excited. I've been putting off some maintenance on my tank between work and an injury I just haven't been able to get it. I would get the old tank all shined up. Scrape the glass, use a turkey baster to puff the detritus off the rocks and do a 10g water change. If you have the ability and store a good bit of water do that, and then do a series of 5 gallon water changes every few days for a couple of weeks. In my experience it's a surefire way to perk up a tanknthats just been dragging a bit. Getting everything looking good motivates me. My tank is just in cruise mode now so it can be a little tough to stay motivated on the maintenance.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't take much to find out. Mix up some water, scrape the glass, siphon out some nasty gunk as part of a water change. If you cannot muster enough to do this, then it might be a good idea to get those live creatures into hands who can care for them. You will likely find that this is easy enough to do and that caring for things that you made a commitment to is enough motivation.
Nothing like getting the tank all shined up and looking good, everything happy and puffed up for a little motivation to keep it that way.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get the tank cleaned up. Go to a LFS and get some cool coral. Or buy a few online and wait for them. The anticipation is exciting. The new color and movement in the tank will be inspiring. You’ll feel better once you make it look better but it takes that kick in the butt to clean things up first and get it ready for new things

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't feeling motivated to deal with one tank, I wouldn't start up another tank. Focus on slowly getting your current tank back looking good again and go from there. It doesn't all have to be all at once. Pick one thing at a time. With each individual task fulfilled comes a sense of achievement and progress. The hardest part is getting started sometimes. Pick an easy task first and get that momentum going.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back