Re-Using Life Rock

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of buckets full of used CaribSea Life Rock. Due to the fact that its a man made rock with certain things added for coloration and look I am wondering if it can bleached out to cure and used again or if I should just toss it.

Has anyone bleached and re-used Life Rock?

flooddc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally just reuse it! no reason to bleach the rocks.
I have reuse many different types of dry rocks and has never bleach or acid wash them. Clean, sun dry and right into the tank.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally just reuse it! no reason to bleach the rocks.
I have reuse many different types of dry rocks and has never bleach or acid wash them. Clean, sun dry and right into the tank.
With a natural rock I would be more inclined to do the same thing however being a man made rock i wonder more about what may have leached into it and if a bleach bath/wash is even possible without destroying it.

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a natural rock I would be more inclined to do the same thing however being a man made rock i wonder more about what may have leached into it and if a bleach bath/wash is even possible without destroying it.

My buddy has that rock. His is falling apart. I would imagine bleaching it will make it crumble IMO. I would just use it, if it was sitting out in the air for a long time you could put it in water and turn the temp way up run it with a power head for a few days?

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or you can just get dry rock. Amazon sells it for a great price. Natures Ocean is the company.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy has that rock. His is falling apart. I would imagine bleaching it will make it crumble IMO
This is kind of what I was thinking would happen. The pieces I have broken off and seen the inside I feel like it might absorb more crap than a natural rock. Don't need any at this point and was trying to decide if its even worth keeping around. Think I'll dry it out with the warmer days ahead and see what it looks like but bleach is off the table for now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back