Reactor, and phosphate removal.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just wondering what reactor size do i need for my system its a 200G. 50G sump. 150g water volume. I see brs have mini reactor, and big reactor which one do i need. I want to use rowaphos. And for the reactor do i need to put the pump first chamber abd out take return pump chamber or it doesnt matter?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, and for the pump of the reactor, does it have to be chamber 1 to chamber 3 (return pump chamber)
You can run it in the same chamber if you want (whatever works best for plumbing). I have a pair of stand-alone reactors that I run right after the main filtration but before the skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several "reactors" or canister filters I've made form PVC for teh occasions I need to run GAC or GFO temporarily. So I'd say go with a small one with it's own pump with just a few turnovers an hour, it'll be easier to remove and clean. It doesn't really matter where you run it but I'll go for easiest access.

You didn't mention what level your po4 is. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l might be acceptable as acros have been shown to increase growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level teh Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with. Rich Ross's (who's part of the team at Steinhart) has his acro dominate mixed reef sitting at 1.8 mg/l, his tank can be seen at the beginning of his MACNA presentation on phosphate.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several "reactors" or canister filters I've made form PVC for teh occasions I need to run GAC or GFO temporarily. So I'd say go with a small one with it's own pump with just a few turnovers an hour, it'll be easier to remove and clean. It doesn't really matter where you run it but I'll go for easiest access.

You didn't mention what level your po4 is. FWIW .03 mg/l is the minimum threshold level to prevent phosphorus limitation in corals, identified by researchers at Southampton University in England using corals maintained in an aquarium for about a decade. .3 mg/l is what corals are subjected to with upwelling in the ocean. .5 mg/l might be acceptable as acros have been shown to increase growth up to this level. .9mg/l is the level teh Steinhart Aqaurium's ex situ sexually reproduced acro colonies are being grwon out with. Rich Ross's (who's part of the team at Steinhart) has his acro dominate mixed reef sitting at 1.8 mg/l, his tank can be seen at the beginning of his MACNA presentation on phosphate.
My phosphate is 0.28 and thats with the water change yesterday 44 gallons

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im just wondering what reactor size do i need for my system its a 200G. 50G sump. 150g water volume. I see brs have mini reactor, and big reactor which one do i need. I want to use rowaphos. And for the reactor do i need to put the pump first chamber abd out take return pump chamber or it doesnt matter?
I would use the calculator below to determine which one to get:

Since it depends on how much you want to lower the PO4, etc etc.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.28 isn't something I'd worry a great deal about. I probably might use some GFO to slowly lower it but it certainly wouldn't be at teh top of my list of concerns. I prefer my PO4 to be .1 to .2 mg/l but if you want to see what can be done with a high phosphate system here's Thale's thread:

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it in the same chamber if you want (whatever works best for plumbing). I have a pair of stand-alone reactors that I run right after the main filtration but before the skimmer chamber.
I have to run it before the skimmer! I was gonna run it same skimmer chamber or thats wrong

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back