Reactor flow rates

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of setting up a carbon/gfo reactor for my 180. I am getting a 500 gph pump for my UV loop and I was thinking about putting the output from the UV sterilizer into the reactor ... Is that too much flow?

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For carbon, you should be fine. As for GFO thats probably too much. You just want the surface of the GFO to tumble slightly. Otherwise you will blow it out of the reactor.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I can add a separate reactor for gfo later and use a smaller pump with a ball valve.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also worried about it being too much for the carbon, since I know if the media is pushed into the display it could cause issues with my fish.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my carbon and GFO running in line. The carbon is first since flow doesnt matter that much. Then I have a ball valve between the reactors to control the flow to the GFO. Also Chemi-Pure Elite is a great product that combines carbon and gfo together.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. Dont use it anymore because it does not have enough flow for me. But I was trying to use it for biopellets. It may work good for carbon and gfo.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk 2

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the dual reactor if you change your carbon/gfo as recomended then your carbon gets changed out before gfo and with a dual reactor you'll need to handwash the carbon or else you'll wash the dust into your gfo or tank or if u put the output in a bucket just a waste of tank water imo. The single reactors easy to take to my ro/di unit and use that pump in resevoir to clean the carbon and empty into sink or bucket. Just seems easier to me.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Mike. Rinsing and changing out the media for carbon and gfo gets to be a PIA real quick. I am running both carbon and GFO in one reactor, but only using a quarter of the GFO suggested amount, so I just change it all out every 4 weeks.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put both media types stacked in one? Which do you put in first? And what flow rate are you using?

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they are just mixed together. And i'm using a mini jet 606 pump. They run about 160 gph, and I have a ball valve on it to slow it down. All you want is just enough for water to flow through the media. just a slight tumble on the surface.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of media will determine that. Not the rate of flow,that will stay the same. You will just need a larger reactor if you want to run both at the same time.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brs single reactor has a sponge to seperate the carbon/gfo if ran in same reactor that way gfo can tumble while carbon doesn't. But its not the tumble that matters with gfo long as it stays fluidized so water can go around the media and not clump up.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 120 81.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back