Reactors?

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for a used one first and for most as they can be picked up pretty cheap. Brand is a personal prefrence, but I like GEO's. If you are using a controller like apex or reef keeper, then any regulator with a solenoid will work on the C02 tank. or without controller, then a good solenoid with a bubble counter will work.

Here is what you need.

product_co2_regulator.jpg
Regulator and Solenoid with out a Bubble counter

OR

ma957-co2-reg.jpg
Regulator and Solenoid with Bubble counter

and

995.jpg
C02 Tank, that can be picked up from a local gas retailer or bought empty online. I just got one from AirGas.

And

cr618.jpg

And Finally the media. I use Reborn and it seems to be the best out there at the moment.

p-35725-47672-fish-supply.jpg

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecobak and carbon are to differt media and does different to the water. Carbon takes out toxin and ecobak lowers your no3& po4. But not all biopellets feed the bacteria that consumes po4. If you run ecobak make sure you have a great skimmer something 3x the total water.
I use a twolittlefish phosban reactor for carbon but will be switching over to the ecobak media. As for calcium I dose kalk in a kalk reactor by twolittlefishies.

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP! same as mine I had an issue with my valve though. it got all clogged up with a very hard white substance. like a precipitate or something. I had to fully dissemble it and soak it in CLR.

Zef004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this was post. But in the long run calRx is cheaperthen 2part or kulk.
Tanks under 125g can use 2part or kalkbut anything over 125 should be running a reactor. But a cal reactor can be run on anything over 40gal.
Now Like my 180 before my crash a few months back. I was going throw 1.5gal of 2part and 3gal kalk in a week. Now that most of my corals are frags I'm going throw 1gal in a 1.5weeks. So after Xmas I'll be looking for a cal reactor also.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I mentioned it Zeff, but didn't go into the detail you did. I have about 135 gall total water volume. I stopped dosing when I was using about 2 gal of 2 part a week and got tired of mixing it up. Now I do nothing and my demand is prob 2-3x's that amount. I do not pay anything but about $30/yr for media and $15/Yr for C02.

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the info, great help! ill probably watch for a used reactor for a while. I do really want a controller soon. maybe i should get it before i go for the reactor.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back