Reactors?

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of complicating things by getting into reactors. I don't want too have to remember to dose things. When work gets busy life gets crazy and I don't want to neglect my work in progress when the job gets in my way. Any how what would yall recommend for me? The set up is a display of 240, 55 sump that probably has 35 in it while running and a 30 refugium. I'm pretty sure I want a calcium reactor and up for ideas beyond that.

Also if anyone has anything for sale let me know.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha bills tank got u wanting reactors :) make sure u get a ecobak reactor everyone seems to be loving ecobak works great on your phos and nitrates

OP
OP
J

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... Bills tank can do that too ya!

Never heard of the ecos... Where about do you find them?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an Ecobak reactor. It's Ecobak by Warner Marine bio-pellets placed in any type reactor you want. There are tons of those to choose from. just go to anysite that sells parts,filtration etc. and type in media reactors. As far as a calcium reactor goes, I have no idea. I prefer to dose 2 part, and not messing with effluents, and C02 tanks.

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a twolittlefish phosban reactor for carbon but will be switching over to the ecobak media. As for calcium I dose kalk in a kalk reactor by twolittlefishies.

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all i know about calc reactors is its kinda expensive and not really needed unless u have high usage requirements. auto dosing can be done cheaper with kalk and or 2 part and dosing pumps ATO etc at least for most peoples demands. as you can see bill has very high usage going on lol

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got an Aquamaxx Biopellet Reactor and it works great. Its built a little better than the two little fishies. The bottom plate has these curved grooves which make the media move around kind like a tornado. You can also put a sponge over the bottom plate and use GFO with it instead. I'm using a mini jet 606 pump for the flow.

I think they are on back order though, but if you can wait a bit I would get one of those instead of a 2 little fishies.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if anyone mentioned a efficient skimmer is necessary for you to use the bio pellets effectively, otherwise they can really throw your tank out of wack with bacterial blooms, etc. Best to also start with 1/2 the recommended amount of media... whichever you decided on. Than step it up over the course of say a month or so.

Many of the bio pellets come from the same source that is something else to keep in mind as well if you can't find the warner marine product. My friend Mike runs the Warner Marine Ecobak pellets and his tank is gorgeous and he swears by them. Myself I just use GFO and carbon. HTH

LeoLionFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The twolittlefish reactor is cheap and you get what you pay for but IMO I think it is worth every penny. The only draw back is you have to clean the stirrer about every week because it clogs up. But it is still effecient for what you get.

Travis D.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not an Ecobak reactor. It's Ecobak by Warner Marine bio-pellets placed in any type reactor you want. There are tons of those to choose from. just go to anysite that sells parts,filtration etc. and type in media reactors. As far as a calcium reactor goes, I have no idea. I prefer to dose 2 part, and not messing with effluents, and C02 tanks.

Wuss!
Actually 2 part is more work than a reactor in the long run. The main reason people are scared to use a Calcium reactor is because they think they are complicated, when they are actually pretty easy to use.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wuss!
Actually 2 part is more work than a reactor in the long run. The main reason people are scared to use a Calcium reactor is because they think they are complicated, when they are actually pretty easy to use.
I have heard both sides of the argument, and what it seems to always come back to on the Cal reactors is the equipment, and being able to dial something in easily or not. I read a lot of threads of folks that were completely frustrated with the reactors and went back to dosing 2 part. And then others never having a problem at all.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, it really comes down to not understanding what the reactor is doing is why most people give up. Most over analyse everything and don't give it time to settle. Patience is key. Also with controllers now like the apex, its really easy to setup the PH in the reactor. In the old days we had to use bubble counters and that was a nightmare. I really do not touch mine, but maybe once every 6 months to fine tune it. One other issue is the output valve has to be a good one to make fine adjustments. Most use a cheap valve and it will never dial in correctly. I have done dosing 2 part with pumps from BRS and it is really more work to get those setup and accruratly dialed in. With larger tanks and heavy calcium/alk demand, calcium reactors are by far easier and cheaper. People with low demand, initally it is a waste to use a calcium reactor, 2 part is better.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Justin's sake, if he wants to go the cal reactor route what reactor(s) and equipment do you suggest ??

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a used one from someone who is frustrated.....:sure:

NO in all seriousness, for a CA rx, I just have the one that my tank came with. its a massive MRC Cr-5. the key In my opinion is a good regulator and controller. Do you want to control teh effluent PH by means of counting bubbles or let a digital controller do the work for you. I prefer the controller. I set mine at 6.67 and let the bubbles click on and off as needed to maintain the PH. I also set the water flow to just over a steady drip. adjust teh water flow to maintain the desired Alkalinity.

to make the whole thing work, you need:

1. Reactor chamber. (this usually comes with recirc pump)
2. CO2 bottle
3. Dual Stage Regulator with solenoid valbe and bubble counter glass sight (sold as complete unit)
4. Pinpoint or milwaukee Ph CONTROLLER. (I think Toxic had one for sale at one time.
5. Good Reactor media. The ARM is good stuff.

Dont just let this thread be your basis on it. read all you can on them. they can be tricky to get dialed in, but once you do, they are very set and forget. I like mine alot so far. I was frustrated with it at first....

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back