Ready For Corals? Parameter/Dosing Questions!

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have a 26g Red Sea Nano Peninsula. It has been running for 5 months, and I finally feel like I am ready for corals (soft and LPS, that is). :)

Stocking
  • Clownfish pair
  • Royal Gramma
  • Fire Shrimp
  • Cleaner Shrimp
  • Emerald Crabs (planning on returning to LFS, only needed them to clean bubble algae)
  • Snail assortment
PARAMETERS
  • Salinity: 1.026
  • pH: 8.0 (just a little low, looking for 8.2-8.4)
  • Phosphate: <0.25 ppm
  • Calcium (ppm): 408 ppm (GOAL: 450)
  • Magnesium: 7.7 dKH (GOAL: 10 dKH)

All in all, not bad IMO. Just have a little raising to do, but I have the means to do so. Please look at the picture below, showing my recommended dosing (using https://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html). Circled in blue you can find the products I am using, which are all SeaChem. I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight on dosing a nano tank in a situation like this. I know some buffers affect multiple nutrients at once, which I am trying to be weary of. Also, how often can I expect to dose like this?

1711656960522.png

I just want to make sure I am prepared before I pick up some frags, which will go on my frag rack first. I appreciate your time! :D

1711656982634.png
(sorry for the blue light)

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of dosing trying to avoid that> However have you checked your PAR readings?
I have not - that is next on my list. I had one frag of zoas that my emerald crabs got to (lesson learned), which seemed to be doing very well under my current light settings.

As for refraining from dosing, do expert reefers look at it as artificial? I am a newbie but have researched various topics for hours as I am already very passionate, even just having a nano lol. My next tank will be a Reefer 350 with a Kraken monitor/controller setup which would include automatic dosing..

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not - that is next on my list. I had one frag of zoas that my emerald crabs got to (lesson learned), which seemed to be doing very well under my current light settings.

As for refraining from dosing, do expert reefers look at it as artificial? I am a newbie but have researched various topics for hours as I am already very passionate, even just having a nano lol. My next tank will be a Reefer 350 with a Kraken monitor/controller setup which would include automatic dosing..
Not an expert at all just afraid of side effects. Prefer media approach

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want 10 alk? 7.7 is great imo, just keep it there, especially if that’s what your salt is mixing at. 408 calcium is fine too. I wouldn’t go trying to increase numbers and chase them every time. Stability is much more important than trying to chase numbers. Dosing is fine but on such a small tank with minimal coral it won’t be needed for a while.

Cheezle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any helpful info but just wanted to say its nice to see someone else with the max nano peninsula :)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point you probably don't need to dose, water changes will likely be enough. As you add corals your demand for alk and calc will go up and at that point you might need to start dosing. In nano tanks I think kalk in the ATO is a valid option (I have done this with success on more than one occasion). That said, I dose Reef Fusion 1 and 2 in my 30 gallon and AFR in my 11 gallon. Both based on demand (and guess-timation).

All that said, your parameters look OK, and if you truly think the emerald is what killed your zoas (I have seen this happen personally), I would consider adding a few cheap corals to your frag rack after removing the emerald. That said make sure you have an appropriate CUC once the emerald is removed.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want 10 alk? 7.7 is great imo, just keep it there, especially if that’s what your salt is mixing at. 408 calcium is fine too. I wouldn’t go trying to increase numbers and chase them every time. Stability is much more important than trying to chase numbers. Dosing is fine but on such a small tank with minimal coral it won’t be needed for a while.
I thought the same, which is why I was dumbfounded when my LFS suggested raising those parameters before picking up a few frags. Although alkalinity wise, I thought 9-12 was optimal? Will 7.7-8 suffice?

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought an Apogee meter Love it. Mapped my entire Aquarium. They used to rent them at Bulk Reef Supply. Don't know if they still do. Talk to your lfs maybe someone local has one. I recommend it although mushrooms and I imaging lps don't need much light

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point you probably don't need to dose, water changes will likely be enough. As you add corals your demand for alk and calc will go up and at that point you might need to start dosing. In nano tanks I think kalk in the ATO is a valid option (I have done this with success on more than one occasion). That said, I dose Reef Fusion 1 and 2 in my 30 gallon and AFR in my 11 gallon. Both based on demand.

All that said, your parameters look OK, and if you truely think the emerald is what killed your zoas (I have seen this happen personnaly), I would consider adding a few cheap corals to your frag rack after removing the emerald. That said make sure you have an appropriate CUC once the emerald is removed.

Just my thoughts.
Very much appreciated and understood. You are definitely right, and I should have considered this beforehand; a few frags won't deplete my alk/calc to the point of necessary dosing. I will go ahead and pick out a few 'beginner' frags and take each step as a learning experience - while studying up on the balance of alk/calc/magnesium.

Thank you very much for your thoughts :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the same, which is why I was dumbfounded when my LFS suggested raising those parameters before picking up a few frags. Although alkalinity wise, I thought 9-12 was optimal? Will 7.7-8 suffice?
Normal ocean water runs about 8 I believe. From my experience running higher alk can be fine but can also lead to issues faster. Honestly, I’d do like above and get a couple cheap frags and see how they do. Odd the lfs is suggesting you hit a set of parameters, especially when nothing is out of sorts. I run my tank about where yours is and have sps, a clam, euphyllia, etc. doing just fine and growing.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal ocean water runs about 8 I believe. From my experience running higher alk can be fine but can also lead to issues faster. Honestly, I’d do like above and get a couple cheap frags and see how they do. Odd the lfs is suggesting you hit a set of parameters, especially when nothing is out of sorts. I run my tank about where yours is and have sps, a clam, euphyllia, etc. doing just fine and growing.
Thank you for the validation lol. Just wanted to get some outside opinions as I am rather cautious as a reefing newbie haha. Very much appreciate your time and insight

Gonna go ahead and order a few cheaper frags on TSA's Easter sale this weekend!

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very much appreciated and understood. You are definitely right, and I should have considered this beforehand; a few frags won't deplete my alk/calc to the point of necessary dosing. I will go ahead and pick out a few 'beginner' frags and take each step as a learning experience - while studying up on the balance of alk/calc/magnesium.

Thank you very much for your thoughts :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Just be carful with some of those "beginner" frags. . . GSP, xenia, and others can really take over if you let them!

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed about beginner frags. Some good ones I’d go for would be Duncan’s, neon green candy canes, some zoas, acans are all good starters imo.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be carful with some of those "beginner" frags. . . GSP, xenia, and others can really take over if you let them!
Agreed about beginner frags. Some good ones I’d go for would be Duncan’s, neon green candy canes, some zoas, acans are all good starters imo.
GSP was an automatic no for me after doing some studying lol. I do like the pulsing xenia but I read they are basically invasive as well.

Zoas are a green light, I will check out the others!

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP was an automatic no for me after doing some studying lol. I do like the pulsing xenia but I read they are basically invasive as well.

Zoas are a green light, I will check out the others!
Pipe organ turned out to be my hardiest coral as a beginner.

I think it's probably fine, but your frag rack is high. Generally, you want to start corals lower in the tank and acclimate them upwards.

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipe organ turned out to be my hardiest coral as a beginner.

I think it's probably fine, but your frag rack is high. Generally, you want to start corals lower in the tank and acclimate them upwards.
That’s a great piece of advice, TYSM. Just picked it up yesterday, didn’t consider that but totally makes sense. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back