Ready For Corals? Parameter/Dosing Questions!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few comments:

The alkalinity in the ocean at normal 35 ppt salinity is a bit below 7 dKH. Folks usually keep it a bit higher to make it easier for corals to grow. I recommend 7-11 dKH.

If you want to maintain alkalinity and calcium by water change, you need to pick a salt mix that is higher than your in tank target levels, otherwise it cannot work out. Also, it only works when demand is on the very low end.

Here's what happens to alk when the demand is fixed at 0.56 dKh (0.2 meq/L) per day and the new salt water has 11 dKH (4 meq/L) of alk. It is easy to see that even 10% changed daily does not keep alk up.

1711722643975.png

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP was an automatic no for me after doing some studying lol. I do like the pulsing xenia but I read they are basically invasive as well.

Zoas are a green light, I will check out the others!
I do have to say that I love my pulsing Xenia. It does grow quicker than most other things but it is great fun to watch.

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont hate crab for being hungry :)
I learned my lesson with crabs. They definately do not belong in my reef tanks. I have them in their own smaller tank because they seem to want to eat anything I have except the things I wish they would eat. I now opt for pepperment shrimp in my tanks because they are busy all the time cleaning and keep out a few things I don't want.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back