Real ai Nero 5 reviews?

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen and read amillion Nero 5 unboxing and first impressions I don’t know why people feel there needs to be so many unboxings. But I haven’t seen anymore opinions on them which would seem a littl more logical at least that’s what I think.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine plain and simple.....I have one on one end of my 255g tank, it’s hanging on 3/4” thick glass, although I do have a little bit of tension on the wire to keep it in place but not much.... it it works perfectly I have zero issues with it, it’s very low profile. I guess the only thing you could say about it is that it’s not as directional as say a Jebao, but the eco tech wave makers are not either. If I had room for one I would buy another one.

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with mine, I got tired of buying wet sides for my vortech so I took a chance on the Nero.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the noise level? Do you hear them ramping up and down?

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen and read amillion Nero 5 unboxing and first impressions I don’t know why people feel there needs to be so many unboxings. But I haven’t seen anymore opinions on them which would seem a littl more logical at least that’s what I think.

I was going to post my unboxing video for you.. just kidding, I hate those too. I picked one up this weekend, it is super quite and my three hammer corals have opened up at least 50% or more since I added it. I have mine set on random from 25% to 75% with high variance (not sure exactly what that is, maybe the time between ramping up and down). I had a little trouble with the app finding my pump but once I turned on my GPS location it did, not sure why that is.

KadeSirin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two on opposite sides of my 65. Here's my a couple points on the AI Nero5...
  • Magnets holding the inner mount are okay, but magnets holding the powerhead itself is very weak.
  • Good wide flow, not like a gyre, but not focused like a mp10.
  • Adjustable, though not as much as I'd like.
  • Has to be at least 6" below surface, higher modes suck air.
  • Lowprofile
  • When using in higher power pulse mode, the powerhead has a tendency to torque itself or rotate while in the tank.
  • Cleaning is pretty easy, it pops apart and there aren't many components.
  • Programming is hard to get hour accurate, can't save or make different profiles. Syncing is good however.
  • Bluetooth only. WiFi would really make this nice to use.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the Nero 5 on my tank since it was released. It's fantastic. The app controls are phenomenal. It provides great, broad flow. It's pretty much maintenance free. The only problem I have is the holes on the back are large enough that my dwarf cerith snails can get wedged in and stop the pump. I'm gradually just moving them to the sump to avoid the issue. I recently went on vacation and timed the autofeeeder and pump to go into feed mode together. It took 10 minutes.

I've owned an MP10 and Maxspect Gyre in the past and I think the Nero is far superior to either of those. I'd buy the Nero again in a heartbeat.

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for a few months and I love it. Honestly at first it paired and ran blew all the sand all over my tank. My tank is 36x24x24 I cannot run at 100% power.

Things I like and Dislike about it.

1. If the power head stops most likely will need to be cleaned (Nem got swallowed)
2. Watch the flow on a smaller tank it will blow stuff around that is not glued down @ 100%
3. Easy to use APP
4. Inner magnet is Okay at best it holds.
5. I love the low profile of the unit.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same mine is fantastic (on 3/8" glass).

Pros:
- It is extremely quiet
- Nice wide flow
- Can easily change the angle to anything you desire.
- I like being able to adjust it with an app (i.e. quickly double the flow if I am cleaning glass/blowing off rocks etc) and can quickly setup schedules. I also like you can see the GPH in near realtime. No more getting down into the cabinet for adjusting on a 1 line screen.

I actually replaced a Gyre with it. Seriously debating getting a second one.

The downsides:
- Magnets really do suck. Everything you have read is true. Even on thin glass it tries to twist itself when pulsing. No good over 1/2” and even then it likely needs the cord for stability.
- Some angles wont hold due to the pulsing.
- Already had one snail get stuck in the back and was grinding against the blades. Not good. I need to 3d print something.
- No ability to connect to a battery backup
- No apex integration
- Bluetooth only so you need to be fairly close to the controller to adjust it.

Late edit: forgot a “

Last edited:

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mines jammed/stopped by a snail more often then its running it seems.... Poor guard design coupled with the low profile design of the fan blade causes this.. my 1st and last nero

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Magnets really do suck. Everything you have read is true. Even on thin glass it tries to twist itself when pulsing. No go over 1/2 and even then it likely needs the cord for stability.

That's the only thing that's kept me from getting them... With a few exceptions, that seems to be the consensus about them; I'm surprised AI hasn't addressed this yet, I can't imagine it would take too much effort/cost for them to put out a stronger dry-side magnet.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the only thing that's kept me from getting them... With a few exceptions, that seems to be the consensus about them; I'm surprised AI hasn't addressed this yet, I can't imagine it would take too much effort/cost for them to put out a stronger dry-side magnet.

I don't think the problem is the dry side magnet. I think it's the wetside that needs a boost and that will probably mean it's thicker and protrudes into the tank further. FWIW, I've never had issues with my magnet or the mount. Mine runs on pulse for a few hours a day before switching over to random.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it really is too bad, as a water mover they are great.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the problem is the dry side magnet. I think it's the wetside that needs a boost and that will probably mean it's thicker and protrudes into the tank further. FWIW, I've never had issues with my magnet or the mount. Mine runs on pulse for a few hours a day before switching over to random.
I would be okay with a bit thicker/stronger magnet. Honestly the cord, if run straight up, keeps it from doing anything crazy anyways.
The snail thing is a bigger issue imo.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be okay with a bit thicker/stronger magnet. Honestly the cord, if run straight up, keeps it from doing anything crazy anyways.
The snail thing is a bigger issue imo.

I agree the snail thing is a bummer. I thought it was just my dwarf ceriths getting stuck because it's in a smaller tank. I didn't realize other people were having similar issues. That said, I had to replace my Mp10 shaft and blades because one snail demolished them somehow. It's not really a problem that only affects only AI Nero.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back