Real ai Nero 5 reviews?

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked mine up to go onto new tank coming in next week or so, so havnt used it yet.

Magnet that goes directly onto back of powerhead doesn't seem particularly strong.
The controller on the lead seems flimsy plastic as I was expecting something pretty solid and better quality from what I saw on U Tube.

Anyone from the UK who can 3d print a guard for back I'll happily pay for cost and postage.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nero 5 mounted on one side of my Reefer 250's 54 gallon display tank. The Ai app is a pleasure to use, the maximum is set at 60% and the minimum is set at 30% at low variance. It is totally quiet and I occasionally use a toothbrush to clean the outside casing.
I am very pleased with this purchase!

PS, The Ai app which I like is also controlling my 2 Hydra 26 HD's.

astridaly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the Nero 5 be good for a 90litre tank? Conversion to US gallons: 24 gallons (approx)

mccune

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run the Nero at what ever level you want. Nero will work in almost any size tank so long as it is not too thick.

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two in my tank and the best thing about them is they are DEAD quiet, even at high speeds. They are easily quieter than my Gyre or my Tunze 6055.
All the other things stated here are consistent with my experience. Magnets are weak and their ability to hold a directional setting is poor. They tend to walk back to straight ahead flow. Their flow is broad, and powerful at the higher settings. They are easy to control all the way down to 1% power. I wish the software had more modes

Rabidwolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eareef pro 1200 came today and the glass is 12mm on the sides. I have the Nero 5 for this but after all of the reviews I have read I'm tempted to take back and change it for an mp40.

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5
The Good
- App very easy to use
- Low profile
- Easy to clean
- Nice broad flow
The Bad
- Very noisy once over 65% capacity
- Can’t save various profiles/programs in app. 1 program only.
- Magnet is weak
- Cant mount high, sucks in air
- Customer support is slow to non-existent
- Will suck in small fish, no guard provided
- 15 degree aim is a lot less than you think, may as well be fixed

Hopefully AI tweak the app and add some functions. Noise is disappointing. I’ll post a vid of noisy operation soon.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several companies making aftermarket guards for them for around $20 shipped (Check EBAY) And I don’t know what you mean about the noise. mInes dead silent on random 100% power. Great little water mover. I just ordered a second one. Magnet could be stronger but I have the square both version as apposed to the original rectangle boxed version. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price has dropped on the Nero5 and I see its sold out at BRS. Its been out for a few years now with a few small issues that need improving. I am looking to added 1 more power heve to my tank for some side flow. The Nero5 is is a good pump in a decent price range. I am wondering if a new version is coming to market soon and I should just wait. I will get going to MACNA as long as it happens with all the virus crazy going on, maybe AI is uodating the Nero pump along with the new Hydra line, which I have 2 new 32 HDs already and love them along withnthe AI app.

Hilltopreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several companies making aftermarket guards for them for around $20 shipped (Check EBAY) And I don’t know what you mean about the noise. mInes dead silent on random 100% power. Great little water mover. I just ordered a second one. Magnet could be stronger but I have the square box version as apposed to the original rectangle boxed version. Don’t know if that makes a difference or not.

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the AI Nero work in the long run after about 2 years of it's release.

Are they long lasting?

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the AI Nero work in the long run after about 2 years of it's release.

Are they long lasting?
Anything under 70% GPH = Silent. Above that you can hear them.
Original version has a weak magnet.
Latest version (square box) has a strong magnet.
Original version has stopped twice, small snail got in. Latest version has additional guard on back and hasn’t stopped yet.
The flow is good, pretty sure you get what’s advertised.
The app is a pleasure to use.

I have two running on a 4x2x2 Waterbox.

Any questions, let me know.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two on opposite sides of my 65. Here's my a couple points on the AI Nero5...
  • Magnets holding the inner mount are okay, but magnets holding the powerhead itself is very weak.
  • Good wide flow, not like a gyre, but not focused like a mp10.
  • Adjustable, though not as much as I'd like.
  • Has to be at least 6" below surface, higher modes suck air.
  • Lowprofile
  • When using in higher power pulse mode, the powerhead has a tendency to torque itself or rotate while in the tank.
  • Cleaning is pretty easy, it pops apart and there aren't many components.
  • Programming is hard to get hour accurate, can't save or make different profiles. Syncing is good however.
  • Bluetooth only. WiFi would really make this nice to use.

spot on review

Aneasytarget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spot on review
I have two on opposite sides of my 65. Here's my a couple points on the AI Nero5...
  • Magnets holding the inner mount are okay, but magnets holding the powerhead itself is very weak.
  • Lowprofile
  • When using in higher power pulse mode, the powerhead has a tendency to torque itself or rotate while in the tank.
  • Programming is hard to get hour accurate, can't save or make different profiles. Syncing is good however.
Saving different programs would be great, shouldn’t be to hard for AI to implement. I suggested this to them a year ago, apparently it was forwarded to their “engineering department”.
I agree with all points above

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Lowprofile
  • They have changed the magnet and it is now stronger.
  • I have no complaints about the flow.
  • I agree that it would be nice if we could angle it even more.
  • I would place it lower than 6 inches anyway.
  • I love the low profile.
  • I have never experienced this in a higher power mode.
  • I agree, cleaning is simple. I just use a tooth brush and a Q tip.
  • Syncing is pretty good but I also would like to be able to save different profiles like Ai's Hydra 26 HD lights.
  • Adding wifi may increase the cost but would be a nice feature.
  • Finally, since you posted this Ai has included a rear fish guard because of the complaints of our fish being sucked in and killed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back