Real deal Purple Monster?

Agreed. Doesn't look like the original since that has a more dense growth pattern in terms of the branches but it still has the potential to be a very nice piece.

Thanks for the input Keith. On a side note, all of those frags I got from you last fall are doing great. The Lime green table has really started to take off over the past month and has easily quadrupled in size. Sending you a PM...
 
FWIW, I don't really follow Steve Tyree so couldn't tell you if it is a "tyree" purple monster. As far as lineage, this frag was from a colony I personally collected in the Solomon Islands a few years ago when I was there setting up a coral farm. It had been in my greenhouse since then, about a year ago the colony started to die off for some unexplainable reason and so I saved a bunch of frags and now on occasion I cut a frag from one of those frags. I believe the coral they call purple monster originally came from the Solomons. This is a fairly common Acro there, some are more purple than others. This one is not very bright purple, but in the greenhouse it is normal for corals to change in intensity as the seasons change so at time they are more colorful than other times. The same coral under T-5 fluorescents becomes more colorful with low nutrient levels. Hope this info helps.
 
FWIW, I don't really follow Steve Tyree so couldn't tell you if it is a "tyree" purple monster. As far as lineage, this frag was from a colony I personally collected in the Solomon Islands a few years ago when I was there setting up a coral farm. It had been in my greenhouse since then, about a year ago the colony started to die off for some unexplainable reason and so I saved a bunch of frags and now on occasion I cut a frag from one of those frags. I believe the coral they call purple monster originally came from the Solomons. This is a fairly common Acro there, some are more purple than others. This one is not very bright purple, but in the greenhouse it is normal for corals to change in intensity as the seasons change so at time they are more colorful than other times. The same coral under T-5 fluorescents becomes more colorful with low nutrient levels. Hope this info helps.
Thanks for the clarification! I've always had good luck with puchases from you before and will continue to be a customer. I guess we'll see how it does with the LED lighting as far as coloration...
 
Do you by any chance have any pics of it when it's colored up?
 
Blast it with light. I have never has a Purple Monster but have seen several and all of them have been close to the lights.
 
I'm slowly moving it up in the tank. Right now it's about halfway up on a frag rack, but it will be moving up slowly but surely.
 
Thanks for the input Keith. On a side note, all of those frags I got from you last fall are doing great. The Lime green table has really started to take off over the past month and has easily quadrupled in size. Sending you a PM...
Very nice. That lime green table if pretty cool. I originally got a frag of it from Sanjay Joshi.
 
here is my Tyree purple monster from a couple months ago,there is a guy that lives close to me that has really good lineage for his colony

d2.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new