Real Ocean Rock in Aquaculture for Over a Decade

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a rare opportunity to buy a few pounds of really old really cured live rock from someone. This rock is real ocean rock covered in organisms from the ocean harvested many years ago and has been in captivity, wet. Should I purchase and add this to my cycling tank? I understand the risks of pests but this biodiversity might be the best I can get.

Thoughts?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, get it but it doesn't have the same biodiversity it had the day it was taken from the ocean by a long shot so factor that into the price. If you're system is mature I wouldn't feel it will make a difference.

geologeek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would bite their hand off to get hold of some! Can't get for love nor money where I am.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I have a rare opportunity to buy a few pounds of really old really cured live rock from someone. This rock is real ocean rock covered in organisms from the ocean harvested many years ago and has been in captivity, wet. Should I purchase and add this to my cycling tank? I understand the risks of pests but this biodiversity might be the best I can get.

Thoughts?
I would have cycled the tank with it...
Cured rock from a healthy thriving system carrying a bioload is just add water ready.
One thing I would strongly suggest is to make sure your prepared to test and dose not only alk,cal and mag but nitrates and phosphates as well.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to start a business that just ships rocks around the world from Indonesia. If Australian live rock goes for $25/lb and people buy it I should get $30/lb for Indonesian if it actually is the bacterial diversity people want. After being in captivity the bacteria have been competing for years...it's not as if it was just pulled from the ocean.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, get it but it doesn't have the same biodiversity it had the day it was taken from the ocean by a long shot so factor that into the price. If you're system is mature I wouldn't feel it will make a difference.
Owner wants $12 a pound so I think I might just go for it! At the very least a few pounds for the sump.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to start a business that just ships rocks around the world from Indonesia. If Australian live rock goes for $25/lb and people buy it I should get $30/lb for Indonesian if it actually is the bacterial diversity people want. After being in captivity the bacteria have been competing for years...it's not as if it was just pulled from the ocean.

I don't feel it's all about the bacteria diversity personally. My gulf rock came with fan worms, clams, amphipods, macro algae and all kinds of different critters that are still mostly abundant in my sump. In fact I originally had a bunch of barren walt smith fiji rock in with it that was almost entirely seeded with the same diversity in about a year.
I feel like the actual benefits go alot further than just bacteria biodiversity.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel it's all about the bacteria diversity personally. My gulf rock came with fan worms, clams, amphipods, macro algae and all kinds of different critters that are still mostly abundant in my sump. In fact I originally had a bunch of barren walt smith fiji rock in with it that was almost entirely seeded with the same diversity in about a year.
I feel like the actual benefits go alot further than just bacteria biodiversity.
Yes, but that was straight from the Gulf...not after a decade in captivity.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Owner wants $12 a pound so I think I might just go for it! At the very least a few pounds for the sump.
I mean go for it if you've got the money. Just understand exactly what you're buying...if you explain to the owner how competition between bacteria works you might get a better price...

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but that was straight from the Gulf...not after a decade in captivity.
I'd ask the owner for pictures personally. After 10 years in captivity his sump should be a mini ocean microfauna jungle and the rocks should show that easily

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask the owner for pictures personally. After 10 years in captivity his sump should be a mini ocean microfaina jungle and the rocks should show that easily
Diversity tends to flatten out over time and the organisms most fit to survive dominate...they don't want to share room...

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some pix and post them if you can.
The rock should be healthy and teaming with life if it has been well taken care of

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feel it's worth it go for it...love to see pics
Agreed pictures should say everything. I'll be honest I wish I would have done a much better job with my gulf rock and lit my sump, kept params tight and didn't put it through the abuse that I have. It would be interesting to see what it would look like now. I'm seriously thinking about getting another load lol

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you guys want top quality stuff from Indonesia I'll send you some but if your customs rejects it I can't help that

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd ask the owner for pictures personally. After 10 years in captivity his sump should be a mini ocean microfauna jungle and the rocks should show that easily
The tank itself is a massive fiberglass coral bed. I will be physically choosing the rocks myself and able to inspect each one.

@LRT : Is there anything I should particularly look out for? Sponges, Macro algae, aiptasia, etc?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just came from the market and the shops are stocked up with live ocean rock literally more than I've ever seen.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back