Real ocean water?

MayteAnahi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a quick question. So recently I've started my saltwater tank but when I was going to buy it my brother insisted on buying real ocean water that's basically at the perfect parameters. He was saying how technically you don't need to cycle. Is it true? I've tried finding more information on it but failed. I'm kinda iffy about this because I'm new but I really don't think it's already cycled so if you guys can help that'd be great[emoji173]

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need to cycle the tank.Water has very little to no beneficial bacteria. Your better off making your own than buying pre made saltwater , it’s also cheaper

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water you buy in the box that’s says natural has been processed to remove everything. So no. It’s not live.

The water in our tanks is full of stuff. nitrifying bacteria included , but in very low amounts , and that’s due to the amount of flow we use.

I use natural water live from the scrips institute ocean peir in San Diego, it’s inlet is close to shore and the water passed through sand filters befor the tap.
So that water IS live.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, do not buy boxed saltwater thinking you can skip the cycle. Glad to see another here from the great white north!

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes I'm from chilly Minnesota. I told my brother that's impossible how it can already be cycled
To add to that, water itself doesnt ever "Cycle" the term "Cycle" refers to the bacteria in your tank, whether thats in the rockwork, sandbed, biomedia ETC. It takes time for the microfauna and bacteria to really become stable. Its called a cycle because it has various steps to complete. First ammonia builds up, the first bacteria in the system will be the bacteria that process ammonia, from there you should expect nitrites, then nitrates. Each part of the cycle relies on a different strain or type of bacteria to do its thing before the next portion can begin :) There are many much smarter than I on here that have written up some pretty good guides, or you can check out some of the BRSTV youtube videos as well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back