Really bad “oil slick”

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really bad “oil slick” at the top of my tank, I always have my skimmer running and have never seen it like this. Any idea of what I can do?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a really bad “oil slick” at the top of my tank, I always have my skimmer running and have never seen it like this. Any idea of what I can do?
I use a HoB filter with floss and a surface cleaner.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common to get that from certain foods that have a "fish oil".

Make sure it is not stuff coming off your arms though. Use some filter floss to guide it to the overflows.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase flow at the surface with a powerhead. Also make sure your overflow teeth aren't clogged with algae.

Obviously a properly tuned protein skimmer will take it out of the water column, but can't take it from the surface.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
excellent

why was asking: nano reefers have a cheat button that large tankers wish they had but do not

easy access to all the water and all the substrate/rocks

large tankers must deal with oil slicks through water means only, can't access like we can w nanos

you can handle that slick any common approach as you like, bc the option to deep clean it and really remove slicks wouldnt be hard in a small tank, plus you get all the side benefits that comes from deep cleaning, such as old tank syndrome prevention for starters.

not that a tank with slicks is in bad shape, a simple overfeeding event or skimming changeup might fix it

skimming also never stopped anyone's old tank syndrome either, so its at least a handy option to know about in nano reefing, the simple no-wait deep clean option that we use when moving reefs to new homes.
a deep cleaning only imparts more life and happier more extended corals and cleaner water, it doesnt harm anything.

its a cheat boost option, vs sitting there building up waste in the sand and rocks which is the commoner approach.

large tankers other than Jon M really dont have much of a choice lol
those always set up so bright and shiny and slick free, 100% of owners love it.

a second benefit on the list of many is that a rip cleaned tank has corals open hungry, expanded more than ever, and room to pack in all the new waste and feed from targeted runs. you can run more protein into the system, without slicks at the start, allowing positive coral mass with no downside.

right now if you run more protein, slicks or offsets increases markedly.

Last edited:
Back