Really loud gurgling in drain line when pumps shuts off, any way to reduce it?

Tac302000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am running a 1.5" Bean Animal overflow which drains to my basement fishroom, about a 25' run. When the pumps (dual Iwaki's) are running everything is dead silent as it should be. My Apex is programmed to shut down the pumps during feeding so that the food isn't swept over the coast to coast overflow. When that happens, the noise from the overflow draining is really, really loud. The wife is not happy. I suspect there is nothing that can be done but I thought I'd see if anyone had any ideas for a fix. Thanks!

OP
OP
Tac302000

Tac302000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was adjusting the flow down the BA drain at my display rather than at the sump in the basement. I opened up the gate valve at my display and instead made the flow adjustment with the valve at the sump. Then I switched off the pumps. The noise at the display as the overflow emptied was now just a fraction of what it was before (because hydro science stuff I think). It still gurgles a bit (as would be expected) but it no longer wakes my neighbors baby and I no longer have to re-straighten the pictures on the walls. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 60 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back