Reasons Why Im Not Doing Water Changes Anymore.

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But for water changes, remember the basics of matching the parameters of your new salt water to the tank water. Primarily for me is Alk/Ca/Mag. With IO salt, I use Muratic Acid to lower Alk to 8.5 dkh, and 2 Part to boost Calcium to 420 and Mag to 1250. You are supposed to do this with each new box or batch of salt...More salt used = more of everything else added.

This provided an ah-ha moment for me. I have never done this and am excited about the possibilities here. Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy would you run a tank without water changes?

Do you mean me?

The answer would depend on my goals for the tank, but since I would not typically want to spent a lot of time thinking about the many chemicals in the tank and whether they were depleting or accumulating, I'd probably almost always do them. That doesn't mean that even when doing them there is no cause for any concern with these issues, but the issues are lessened by water changes.

jakub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean me?

The answer would depend on my goals for the tank, but since I would not typically want to spent a lot of time thinking about the many chemicals in the tank and whether they were depleting or accumulating, I'd probably almost always do them. That doesn't mean that even when doing them there is no cause for any concern with these issues, but the issues are lessened by water changes.
Ya

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own calcium reactor :)
IMG_2428 - Copy.JPG
Made one back in the early 90s that worked great.

Back