rebooting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have heard my Apex reboot 3-4 times in the last day or so. This is very strange. Should I be worried? It is about 7 years old...

thoughts?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you really know it boots?
I had a similar thought as i used to get notifications all the time from apex 2016 saying its off then on. I created a log and actually found that it does not go off and on its glitch so i forced a firmware update and it never happened again.

OP
OP
R

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my system reboots, all the lights and pumps turn off for a couple seconds. You can hear that and then hear them come back on again.

TheReefAddict

More Than An Obsession
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reboot? Are you simply unplugging the apex and then plugging back in. Or are you hitting the reset button with a paper clip?

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try forcing firmware on it and then once copied over unplug everything and restart apex.
If it still does it then unplug every module and restart apex. This time only plug 1 module/thing at a time to isolate if 1 product/item is causing it to crash.
Also goto configurations menu and under modules update all items to new firmware even if they are current.

OP
OP
R

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try forcing firmware on it and then once copied over unplug everything and restart apex.
If it still does it then unplug every module and restart apex. This time only plug 1 module/thing at a time to isolate if 1 product/item is causing it to crash.
Also goto configurations menu and under modules update all items to new firmware even if they are current.

Thanks for the help Dr. Reef. Today it seems stable so I might leave well enough alone. We have had violent thunder storms so I wonder if there were line irregularities that caused the reboots. If it happens again, I will definitely follow your advice.

OP
OP
R

ReefTeacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I suspected it was on its way out....another reboot today signaled trouble so I followed the advice and tried to update the firmware. It took forever, and in the end the unit does not function at all. When to a local store and borrowed a new head unit for the 2016 model. Configured it with all the old modules, updated their firmware again and so far so good. I ordered one of the new Apex EL's to replace my old unit. I guess I can't complain after 7 years!

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely it was getting hot and installing a PC fan on it might have worked but now that you have a newer replacement coming in its probably best anyways, Good luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back