Rebuilding the 93

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Im back after a lull of inactivity here. I just move out of my apartment into my new house. After only having the tank up at the old place for a few months I tore it down, gave away all my fish and tried to keep the coral as best as I could.

I lost all my sps (not to many pieces) but my lps and softies are good. Im thinking of re-doing my tank differently now. I want to do a strange tank. Softies only (maybe lps) but, i want to do more fish oriented. I was thinking of a fowlr but... the colors I know from the coral i would miss.

What kinds of fish/route do you think i should take.

So far i want softie only (maybe lps, i have a 20+ head frogspawn i dont wanna give up)
Snowflake eel
Harlequin tusk
My tang (shush to all you tang police i but em small then give them away when they get big)
A few chromis
Then some black and white bannerfish (probably 2)

Let me know what you think!

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a tusk for my 93 but decided against it because I figured it was too small. Good luck though.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about the tusk also, whether the tank would be big enough but beautiful fish! I love the idea of bannerfish - they are probably one of my favorites in the hobby - have not ever kept one - they can be iffy with coral (I think more so with polyps) - no clowns? some of the designer clowns are do cool looking.

welcome back to the hobby - congrats on the new house! A tank in a new house is an absolute must :)

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering about the tusk also, whether the tank would be big enough but beautiful fish! I love the idea of bannerfish - they are probably one of my favorites in the hobby - have not ever kept one - they can be iffy with coral (I think more so with polyps) - no clowns? some of the designer clowns are do cool looking.

welcome back to the hobby - congrats on the new house! A tank in a new house is an absolute must :)

Yea, I like to break the rules on it, but in the end the fish always finds a new home when they get too big. As far as the clowns go... I had 2 picassos in my tank before but lost them in the move. They were really hardy just had an issue moving for some reason... Same water from the tank and same conditions... just different spot and they went belly up :( As far as the coral with the bannerfish... Thats what im nervous about.

I want to try to make it a more of a fish tank and less of a coral tank. Yes some coral for color but sps and even the harder lps i want to stay away from.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... now im really starting from scratch... My heater went and because it wasnt hooked up to my apex due to the tank being re-built from the sump up I lost all my coral in that tank. 8 headed rainbow acan, 20+ designer zoas, big ol plate shroom, and worst of all my giant 20 head frogspawn. In a matter of 8hrs my tank went from 79 to 100 degrees and there wasnt a **** thing i could do about it. Coraline algae is everywhere and my pods seem to love it but, everything that I cared about is gone. Really makes it tough to want to stay in this hobby when 400+ dollars of coral just went up in smoke.... Literally

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't give up. I know your pain. I was in that situation before when all of my high price SPS were bleached. I am now starting to build my tank again. Hopefully, I can learn from mistakes and make thing better this time. Don't give up.

OP
OP
Jakemac

Jakemac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well now that im in no rush to get my tank together since everythings gone... I was thinking of getting a 90g tank. What are everyones thoughts on it?

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
starting all over is always a lot of work so take your time to do it right.
this hobby sucks.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back