Reccomended Powerhead "wavemaker" for 40 gallon tank

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 40gallon tank and just put in a wave maker Aqueon 900gph, After a few hours I saw that the sand had moved because of it. I plan to have some clownfish in my tank with some corals later on. Would it be ok to get a 500gph powerhead instead? Or do yall reccomend moving the powerhead a bit higher or... please help me with this, thx
IMG_9862.jpg
IMG_9863.jpg
So I
Screenshot_3.png

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand will settle down on its own eventually and then you'll kick yourself for getting something smaller.
If you want something you can adjust, get a Nero3. I own 2 of them and they're pretty cool. Otherwise I would just let it ride for a while. Good water flow is important.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I have a 40gallon tank and just put in a wave maker Aqueon 900gph, After a few hours I saw that the sand had moved because of it. I plan to have some clownfish in my tank with some corals later on. Would it be ok to get a 500gph powerhead instead? Or do yall reccomend moving the powerhead a bit higher or... please help me with this, thx
IMG_9862.jpg
IMG_9863.jpg
So I
Screenshot_3.png
That head has a bit of flow
Jebao RW-4 or Sicce voyager .5 would be better

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That head has a bit of flow
Jebao RW-4 or Sicce voyager .5 would be better
Correct, that's a ton of flow for a 40.

I have a 40GB and have 2 Aqua ZKSJ Slim Pro from Amazon, sadly I don't see them available anymore....but I have a 40GB with 2 of them on there, but they have a connecting app to sync both with 8 different modes and power/strength adjustments...and they are awesome. Paid like $60/each. Still going strong after 2 years.

You need something with an app, or external controller. Hygger is also a decent brand, but lots of people have great success with Jebaoa also.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with single HOB (but on the back) and single wavemaker (on the side).
I'd prefer 2x smaller wavemakers to 1x larger ... but (long story) been running 1x for 2.5 years in that tank and working OK.

Questions:
-- why does your water level look so low (to me)?
-- what's going on equipment-wise on the right side? 1x wavemaker + some other HOB thing dumping water down from high above the water level?

*trying to figure out the massive waterfall coming down in the back/right corner, unless that's just an optical illusion,,, but "looks" (to me) like a lot of current pushing downward

...also, visually, looks something like a Seachem Tidal HOB on the left but the water level seems way too low for it to be working well,,, or so I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Giancarlo_Flex

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder with single HOB (but on the back) and single wavemaker (on the side).
I'd prefer 2x smaller wavemakers to 1x larger ... but (long story) been running 1x for 2.5 years in that tank and working OK.

Questions:
-- what's going on equipment-wise on the right side? 1x wavemaker + some other HOB thing dumping water down from high above the water level?

*trying to figure out the massive waterfall coming down in the back/right corner, unless that's just an optical illusion,,, but "looks" (to me) like a lot of current pushing downward

...also, visually, looks something like a Seachem Tidal HOB on the left but the water level seems way too low for it to be working well,,, or so I think.
IMG_9867.png
Lol, its a water heater. And I used plastic wrap to reduce splash. Old pic too just topped off the tank with salt water. Almost done cycling
IMG_9866.png

Questions:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your powerhead is pushing sand because you have one-way linear flow. Almost always better to have 2 powerheads, so the flow can bounce off each other and create random flow patterns, this will not push the sand around.

My 40 breeder has 2 gyres set at 50% and I have 3" of sand, my sand doesn't move. Keep in mind, sand will weigh down in time.

I would also suggest to get a lot more rock, should be somewhere between 30-40 lbs of rock in your tank. If you have the right amount of rock, it will break up the flow more. Rock is the bio-filter of the tank, more rock means more biofiltration. Rock also provides hiding space for fish, and breeding space fr micro organisms.

You should not add any fish into that tank with only 2 pieces of rock, there is no where to hide and will be very stressful for any new fish.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back