280 gallon tank. Powerheads and lighting

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm looking at setting up a 280 gallon sps tank. The Tank is the waterbox lx 290.6. I was wondering what would be the best powerheads and lights for this tank. I'm thinking 3 x radion 30x g6 lights or maybe I should use 6 x radion 15x g6 lights. For powerheads I'm thinking 2 x maxspect gyre xf350's for the back of the tank so nothing Seattle's at the back of the tank and I'm not sure on what powerhead wavemakers for either end of the tank. Should I use 2 smaller pumps either end or one larger one either end. Let me know on your thoughts for lighting and pumps for this tank. The dimensions of the tank are 1850 x 750 x 650 high.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
The 3 x30 g6 will work and a mp60 on each end will work with the back wall gyres. Once your sps grow you may need to get 2 more mp60's.

Upvote 0

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi2.0 is a less expensive xr 30 option. The orphek icons can be found cheaper used or just new if wanted. You can supplement with led bars or use led bars from as your main source...a lot of options for led should you go with leds. Pumps depend on your budget and needs. Ecotech is a great powerhead if you want the plus of thr motor not being in the water. The downside is you can't angle them. The maxspect gyres should suffice on a 6' tank. The less expensive option is the jebeao scp or mcp series. It will have all the needs of flow but it won't have all the frills of maxspect, icecap, red sea gyres...lol..so many combinations to choose from

Upvote 0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you go with XR30's I would recommend at least 4 to start with. Then be ready to add some supplemental lighting such as T5's.

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look into sea sweeps and Tunze pumps. Tunze 6255's on sea sweeps is what im using on my 150.
Nothing mounted on the walls and only 2 cords that go through the sea sweeps.
Cost is the only issue.
If your looking for a clean look and max random flow this combo will do it with nothing else needed, imo.
20231208_125624.jpg

Upvote 0

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 320 gallon tank sps dominate. The tank is 68x36x30.
For lighting I run 8x hydra 32 HD and 4 4 foot t5 bulbs

For water movement I have 4 mp 40s all on the back. It is important to me to have no cables visible.

I have no problems keeping what I want.

Do not skimp on lighting. It's the one place I'd suggest not trying to find a budget solution. Everywhere else try to buy used ect, to save money.

Even when they say you can add more lighting later. I promise you it is a real pita to add lighting to an existing canopy. When your canopy is that large it is not something easily taken down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefi2.0 is a less expensive xr 30 option. The orphek icons can be found cheaper used or just new if wanted. You can supplement with led bars or use led bars from as your main source...a lot of options for led should you go with leds. Pumps depend on your budget and needs. Ecotech is a great powerhead if you want the plus of thr motor not being in the water. The downside is you can't angle them. The maxspect gyres should suffice on a 6' tank. The less expensive option is the jebeao scp or mcp series. It will have all the needs of flow but it won't have all the frills of maxspect, icecap, red sea gyres...lol..so many combinations to choose from
Thank you for your advice. I think I will use the Jebeao pumps that you recommend as i only want them to stop detitris building up at the back of the tank. And maybe 2 x MP60's for now, can add more later as the tank grows. I'm going to look up the lights you recommend also. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advise. I believe I have come up with a plan now. For those that said more than 3 lights I don't think it's practical on my tank. As you can see in the picture there are 3 openings in the top of the tank. I will be purchasing a Par meter before I add coral and if there isn't enough light I'll add some lighting strip's like the blades or something similar. My next issue will be bare bottom or sand. I like the look of the sand but I want a high flow tank for coral health and growth.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231217_101446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231217_101446_Samsung Internet.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your advise. I believe I have come up with a plan now. For those that said more than 3 lights I don't think it's practical on my tank. As you can see in the picture there are 3 openings in the top of the tank. I will be purchasing a Par meter before I add coral and if there isn't enough light I'll add some lighting strip's like the blades or something similar. My next issue will be bare bottom or sand. I like the look of the sand but I want a high flow tank for coral health and growth.
2 lights to me will be right in the braces for even spread 3 would be ideal

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your advice. I think I will use the Jebeao pumps that you recommend as i only want them to stop detitris building up at the back of the tank. And maybe 2 x MP60's for now, can add more later as the tank grows. I'm going to look up the lights you recommend also. Thanks
Hi I have done some research on the Jebeo pumps and luckily whilst reading the specs found its only good for 5/8 or 16mm glass as recommended by the manufacturer. My tank will be 3/4 or 19mm glass. Do you know of another brand that would do the same thing? I would really like to save as much money as possible on equipment that would do the same job. ( so I can buy automatic water testers).

Upvote 0

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have decided on lights. You can't go wrong with the g6's. I have 2 g5 -30's on my 40 gallon frag tank.

For water flow. I would go with 4 gyree's on back wall placed vertically. I think that would most minimal look.

I currently have 2 gyree on back wall with 2 mp40 on back wall in a 255 gallon and it works great. Once I figure out battery backup situation . I will replace mp40 with more gyree.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have decided on lights. You can't go wrong with the g6's. I have 2 g5 -30's on my 40 gallon frag tank.

For water flow. I would go with 4 gyree's on back wall placed vertically. I think that would most minimal look.

I currently have 2 gyree on back wall with 2 mp40 on back wall in a 255 gallon and it works great. Once I figure out battery backup situation . I will replace mp40 with more gyree.
It's interesting that you say that. I have worked out I can only use the maxspec gyros due to glass thickness, and looking at prices I can buy 3 x 350's for the price of one mp60.

Upvote 0

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rimless 255 with 3/4" glass. I have red sea 45's and they hold really well. Better than the mp40's for reference. The 45's dont move. The magnets are great. However, there is one issue and that is battery backup. I need to work this out before replacing the mp40's with 2 more 45's or another brand gyree with batter backup.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Aishwarya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rimless 255 with 3/4" glass. I have red sea 45's and they hold really well. Better than the mp40's for reference. The 45's dont move. The magnets are great. However, there is one issue and that is battery backup. I need to work this out before replacing the mp40's with 2 more 45's or another brand gyree with batter backup.
I'll do some research into this because I'm sure you could wire in a relay to any DC pump 12-24V and have mains power opening the relay to run on mains power and when the power is out the relay will switch and change it to any 12v battery. If it's 24V you connect 2 x 12V battery's together and then you have 24V. A deep cycle battery would be best and a decent battery say this one in the picture is 120ah. It's 6 x larger than the ecotech and half the price. It would run 2 large pumps for a week. Just a thought. I'll draw up the electrical side and send it to you. It's no different than a second battery setup on a vehicle. It works the same. Then all you need is a tiny battery charger constantly trickle charging the battery.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231218_075419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_075419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20231218_075515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231218_075515_Samsung Internet.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back