Lights/powerhead on 40 gallon

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wife gave me the go ahead to upgrade the 20 gallon FOWLR tank to a 40 gallon reef tank with the condition that I don't break the bank.

I'm looking for good power heads and lights that dont need to be budget, but won't break bank. Stuff that will do a good job in a mixed reef tank (SPS would be low demand like cyphastrea). Only requirement for powerheads is small form factor. I love the AI Nero's and they would be perfect, but over $300 for two powerheads puts them out of the price range my wife gave me. Thanks in advance for any recommendations

Tank dimensions would be 36.5 in L x 15.5 in W x 17.25 in H

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pair of Sicce Voyager Nanos for powerheads. Lights, well - really depends on your budget.
you can always add more flow later, put as much of the budget as you can into lights. Lots of options for a 40 gallon, the higher the budget the more fun you have researching.
For lighting price, let's say under the $250 as the absolute maximum. I'd like to be closer to $150 if possible though. My LFS reccommended the Fluval Sea lights they use on their display. That's in that $250 range, so I'm reluctant to go that route

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x AI Primes and a pair of Jebao gyres (ECP-70m). That'll grow anything you want to grow (assuming 40g Breeder sized tank).

OP
OP
A

Always Be Reefin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3x AI Primes and a pair of Jebao gyres (ECP-70m). That'll grow anything you want to grow (assuming 40g Breeder sized tank).
AI Prime is far outside my budget. Picked the jebao slw-20 for my powerheads, which saved moneh. My remaining budget is $500. Tho I don't want to get anywhere near that high.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Prime is far outside my budget. Picked the jebao slw-20 for my powerheads, which saved moneh. My remaining budget is $500. Tho I don't want to get anywhere near that high.

Check the classifieds. I bet you could find used ones, and get 2-3 easily under your budget.

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sent you a PM. I got some stuff laying around I can let go super cheap.

jerricolaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao for some cheap wave makers whether it’s the Nero clone or gyres. And for lighting I’d say some Noopsyche K7 minis. Plus you can always add as you go. Maybe buy a pair for now and add another 1or 2 down the road. Don’t break the bank all at once

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back