AI Primes vs Hydra vs Radion G6 for 20 gallon long rimmed tank

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see they have 2 foot and 3 foot, would the 2 foot bars be ok at appropriate mount height? For this price could easily get two bars to start also.
24" bars would be fine. I'd honestly start with one and see what you think. You're only asking for a 12" spread. Easily doable. If you go two, there definitely would be no shadowing. But keep in mind they aren't controllable in intensity and you'll need to run a timer to turn them on and off. Still an excellent option.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24" bars would be fine. I'd honestly start with one and see what you think. You're only asking for a 12" spread. Easily doable. If you go two, there definitely would be no shadowing. But keep in mind they aren't controllable in intensity and you'll need to run a timer to turn them on and off. Still an excellent option.
Ok so basically just would adjust intensity by mount height. I’d probably get 2 if I try them just because. But I hear you on starting with 1 2 footer being ok. Definitely like this option, don’t care about ramp up and down really. Because that didn’t exist pre LEDs anyway. I’m glad I posted I am getting lots of great advice and showing me options I didn’t even know existed.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to cover the 30" best with the options you listed then I would do two primes. Also later on you can use these in other set ups. You can probably get two primes on here in the marketplace for a little more than the price of 1. If you have a bigger tank later on you can buy a hydra and link the two primes and have all 3 on a bigger tank through their APP.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw out a suggestion for a single light fixture with a tank mount included

Reefbreeders photon 24

Coverage Area SPS:
30" x 24"
Coverage Area Mixed Reef:
36" x 24"

No shadowing since it’s not point based. Done call it a day and enjoy

I had a photon 36 over a 40b and it worked great for any type of coral anywhere in the tank

I rub a photon 48 over my 75 and it also does great and supports any coral
I don’t know why I wasn’t also considering the photons, they also seem like a good option and the included tank mount is nice.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to cover the 30" best with the options you listed then I would do two primes. Also later on you can use these in other set ups. You can probably get two primes on here in the marketplace for a little more than the price of 1. If you have a bigger tank later on you can buy a hydra and link the two primes and have all 3 on a bigger tank through their APP.
If they didn’t have these lens melt issues I think I would have already bought 2 or 3 used primes.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they didn’t have these lens melt issues I think I would have already bought 2 or 3 used primes.
If you call AI with a problem sometimes they'll send you new lenses for free sometimes they are like $4 with shipping. It really just depends who you talk to on the phone. I wouldn't worry about the lenses they are really easy to change out. Also I like their gooseneck mounts. I can make it the exact angle I want off the water. Also you can order extra lenses and change them whenever. For the price you can probably get a pair for on here, it is well worth having to order some extra backup lenses.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you call AI with a problem sometimes they'll send you new lenses for free sometimes they are like $4 with shipping. It really just depends who you talk to on the phone. I wouldn't worry about the lenses they are really easy to change out. Also I like their gooseneck mounts. I can make it the exact angle I want off the water. Also you can order extra lenses and change them whenever. For the price you can probably get a pair for on here, it is well worth having to order some extra backup lenses.
I am definitely reassured to know that the backup lenses do exist. And the mounts also are a big reason I was looking at the AIs

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My prime melted the lens. Never turned up any channel over 81% I wish I never spent money on My prime 16hd. Oh and 6 months after the lens melted the fan buzzes all the time
0538102D-20EA-4709-AB6B-D0F2774DD2BC.png

I’ve had photons run 5+ years with no issues. The current ones don’t even use fans the whole unit is a passive heat sync

Plus bonus feature, doubles as a shelf for your stuff
9710F4AA-5043-4B03-872F-49DE9FEDF898.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am definitely reassured to know that the backup lenses do exist. And the mounts also are a big reason I was looking at the AIs
they exist but you have to make sure to swap them out before the diodes themselves melt.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My prime melted the lens. Never turned up any channel over 81% I wish I never spent money on My prime 16hd. Oh and 6 months after the lens melted the fan buzzes all the time
0538102D-20EA-4709-AB6B-D0F2774DD2BC.png

I’ve had photons run 5+ years with no issues. The current ones don’t even use fans the whole unit is a passive heat sync

Plus bonus feature, doubles as a shelf for your stuff
9710F4AA-5043-4B03-872F-49DE9FEDF898.jpeg
Can you take the lid off the tank without removing the light. The worst part of using my 2 fluval bars at the moment.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of the bracket is on the outside 50% of the frame. There is a tab that extends further, it’s the “emergency tab”. In case you bump into the mounting leg with your arm and cause the leg to bow out, the fixture doesn’t fall
82822A08-D8AB-4346-8F7C-55FC99FC4BBB.jpeg

I slide the light back, open the lid, and slide the lid forward and out at a gentle angle.
A744875D-1B4E-45BA-AD4A-57177FD57FEA.jpeg
313DF86D-84AF-4838-9E2B-7A7C73D839CA.jpeg

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of the bracket is on the outside 50% of the frame. There is a tab that extends further, it’s the “emergency tab”. In case you bump into the mounting leg with your arm and cause the leg to bow out, the fixture doesn’t fall
82822A08-D8AB-4346-8F7C-55FC99FC4BBB.jpeg

I slide the light back, open the lid, and slide the lid forward and out at a gentle angle.
A744875D-1B4E-45BA-AD4A-57177FD57FEA.jpeg
313DF86D-84AF-4838-9E2B-7A7C73D839CA.jpeg
Ok I’m using a diy screen frame lid, should be able to do this. But if not it still cant be worse than what I’ve got right now. Definitely will consider the 24 inch model.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m using a diy screen frame lid, should be able to do this. But if not it still cant be worse than what I’ve got right now. Definitely will consider the 24 inch model.

If your have no cables or obstacles, you can slide the light back as much as you want. That emergency tab is what limits the angle the lid can be lifted too, you only need lift a lid about 1/4 - 1/2 inch to clear the tank frame

I could go back farther, allowing a greater angle, but I get interference from mp40 cords on the opposite side
23D8E4FE-B410-4361-AD15-98E6AAC1E4CE.jpeg

Still though, plenty of room to remove a lid, and it could slide back a few inches more if needed. Easy

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh got it haha. I wish I thought this through more when I started the 20 long. I could have done a different dimension and all these lights would be perfectly fine. I’m going to have to go overkill either way here it seems to get coverage across all 30 inches when my depth and width are only 12 inches. Will keep reefi in mind 3 year warranty is intriguing as long as they actually answer
I have never seen customer service as good as Daniel with Reefi Labs Lights. I run 4 of them over a 8ft tank. I am a member of the facebook reefi group and I see first hand how much time Dan puts in helping his customers. I seriously urge you to join the group and witness for yourself how dedicated he is, and how amazing these lights preform. Not to mention that 3yr warranty is industry leading. Plus more wattage at HALF the cost of the leading brand l.e.d.'s!!

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen customer service as good as Daniel with Reefi Labs Lights. I run 4 of them over a 8ft tank. I am a member of the facebook reefi group and I see first hand how much time Dan puts in helping his customers. I seriously urge you to join the group and witness for yourself how dedicated he is, and how amazing these lights preform. Not to mention that 3yr warranty is industry leading. Plus more wattage at HALF the cost of the leading brand l.e.d.'s!!
These are a great option if OP is going to upgrade his tank in the future. The challenge right now is getting good spread without heavy shadowing at the ends, especially with only having 12" front to back. Only way to get good spread is to raise the light, but then deal with the light spillage front to back.

Full disclosure: I love Reefi and have 2 Uno 2.0 Pros myself. Best option on the market for most tanks that will need multiple lights, or could somehow get away with one light without shadowing (without adding an additional light source).

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a great option if OP is going to upgrade his tank in the future. The challenge right now is getting good spread without heavy shadowing at the ends, especially with only having 12" front to back. Only way to get good spread is to raise the light, but then deal with the light spillage front to back.

Full disclosure: I love Reefi and have 2 Uno 2.0 Pros myself. Best option on the market for most tanks that will need multiple lights, or could somehow get away with one light without shadowing (without adding an additional light source).
personally RD, I think the lights are a great option for upgrade, new, or just because you have extra money to spend. Seriously though, have you ever seen customer service like what Daniel is doing on his fb page? I have not, in any industry ever.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%

Back