AI Primes vs Hydra vs Radion G6 for 20 gallon long rimmed tank

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Looking to upgrade my lights. Can someone let me know in their opinion. Upgrading my 20 long first. Can’t decide between x15 g6 pro, blue, hydra 32 or 2 prime 16s. No SPS but yes bubble tip nems.

Looking to use the tank mount for either brand but if they are not good I can ceiling mount.

Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
if the lights will be over a 20G long, 2 primes would suffice but for SPS a hydra of ration would be best. get whichever your budget allows

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the lights will be over a 20G long, 2 primes would suffice but for SPS a hydra of ration would be best. get whichever your budget allows
Would 1 hydra or 1 X15 cover the 30 inch length of my tank on the back of tank mount arms? Or close to it. I have my mushrooms on the outer edges anyway of the tank so the 24 inch stated coverage for both brands would basically cover the entire tank lengthwise.

and does anyone have opinions on the radion tank mount arm

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Would 1 hydra or 1 X15 cover the 30 inch length of my tank on the back of tank mount arms? Or close to it. I have my mushrooms on the outer edges anyway of the tank so the 24 inch stated coverage for both brands would basically cover the entire tank lengthwise.
i cannot speak to the radions because i only have experience with the hydra 32hd. i have 2 over a 40B, which is 36”. mounted roughly 12” above the water line(both at a vertical positioning).

i believe for 24”, 1 hydra would be good. if anything you can supplement the light with a blade(or two) or even a reefbrite hko kit(i have two).

personally if i where to do this again, i would buy two reefi uno 2.0 over this 40B.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpeg
    IMG_0390.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 20

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hydra 32 or XR15 really arent great for 30" of spread. You'll have major shadowing and low PAR at the sides. Two Primes would be best from your list. You can space them hiwever you like, which makes them much more flexible. Keep in mind the quality, as these have major lense melting issues.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cannot speak to the radions because i only have experience with the hydra 32hd. i have 2 over a 40B, which is 36”. mounted roughly 12” above the water line(both at a vertical positioning).

i believe for 24”, 1 hydra would be good. if anything you can supplement the light with a blade(or two) or even a reefbrite hko kit(i have two).

personally if i where to do this again, i would buy two reefi uno 2.0 over this 40B.
Really? Never heard of the reefi. Just checked out the website. Seems impressive offering a 3 year warranty. Power is definitely overkill for now but want to either setup a new 40B or 60 or upgrade the current 20L. Their tank mount also looks like it is the one where the metal bar slides back instead of the light itself sliding and not sure I have enough clearance to the wall behind the tank to adjust it properly.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Really? Never heard of the reefi. Just checked out the website. Seems impressive offering a 3 year warranty. Power is definitely overkill for now but want to either setup a new 40B or 60 or upgrade the current 20L. Their tank mount also looks like it is the one where the metal bar slides back instead of the light itself sliding and not sure I have enough clearance to the wall behind the tank to adjust it properly.
oh no, i didn’t mean to imply i was suggesting the reefi for your 20G. it was for my 40B. beyond overkill for your 20G lol

if you do get a 40, or bigger then yes. 2 reefi’s would be optimal

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Hydra 32 or XR15 really arent great for 30" of spread. You'll have major shadowing and low PAR at the sides. Two Primes would be best from your list. You can space them hiwever you like, which makes them much more flexible. Keep in mind the quality, as these have major lense melting issues.
Got it. So if I want radion I should go with two 15s or 1 30. Really don’t want the AI if the lenses are going to melt like I see everywhere online. Can the lenses be replaced do you know?

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh no, i didn’t mean to imply i was suggesting the reefi for your 20G. it was for my 40B. beyond overkill for your 20G lol

if you do get a 40, or bigger then yes. 2 reefi’s would be optimal
Oh got it haha. I wish I thought this through more when I started the 20 long. I could have done a different dimension and all these lights would be perfectly fine. I’m going to have to go overkill either way here it seems to get coverage across all 30 inches when my depth and width are only 12 inches. Will keep reefi in mind 3 year warranty is intriguing as long as they actually answer

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. So if I want radion I should go with two 15s or 1 30. Really don’t want the AI if the lenses are going to melt like I see everywhere online. Can the lenses be replaced do you know?
Most point source lights (even diffused like the XR30s) are going to have a hard time achieving an even spread across 30" to sustain acropora. The lenses on the Primes can be replaced, but there have been some availability issues. If you let them deteriorate too far, they produce a lot of heat that can damage the LED diodes beyond repair.

Do you plan on upgrading/upsizing your tank in the near future? That will impact my recommendation.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most point source lights (even diffused like the XR30s) are going to have a hard time achieving an even spread across 30" to sustain acropora. The lenses on the Primes can be replaced, but there have been some availability issues. If you let them deteriorate too far, they produce a lot of heat that can damage the LED diodes beyond repair.

Do you plan on upgrading/upsizing your tank in the near future? That will impact my recommendation.
Yes I do plan on upgrading tank size but no acropora or any SPS right now for me under this current setup at least. But I do want to grow bubble tip nem and get good coloration on them.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Radion X-15 with their tank mount and it's quite even over 24". Yes there is some fall off and with a longer tank you'll have lower PAR at the ends but if you're going to do a mixed reef that's fine.

A BTA will like to find it's own level of flow and light so having it fall off towards the end of the tank can be a good thing.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Radion X-15 with their tank mount and it's quite even over 24". Yes there is some fall off and with a longer tank you'll have lower PAR at the ends but if you're going to do a mixed reef that's fine.

A BTA will like to find its own level of flow and light so having it fall off towards the end of the tank can be a good thing.
The mount is ok? Has not so great reviews on BRS so I was worried because seemed like AI has better tank mount, and ceiling hanging the radion was best bet if I got one.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh got it haha. I wish I thought this through more when I started the 20 long. I could have done a different dimension and all these lights would be perfectly fine. I’m going to have to go overkill either way here it seems to get coverage across all 30 inches when my depth and width are only 12 inches. Will keep reefi in mind 3 year warranty is intriguing as long as they actually answer
they have great customer service based off the research and reviews i’ve seen. considering the warranty alone, i would consider them above all in service

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS owns Ecotech, AquaIllumination and Neptune. FYI

The mount works great. Reviews on BRS seem to be the complainers. I bought mine from them and I'm happy with it but I never think about leaving a review.

The height it pretty ideal for the spread and it's well built. You have some range of front to back adjustment so you can find the center for your tank or put it off center.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The mount works great. Reviews on BRS seem to be the complainers. I bought mine from them and I'm happy with it but I never think about leaving a review.

The height it pretty ideal for the spread and it's well built. You have some range of front to back adjustment so you can find the center for your tank or put it off center.
Lol I had no idea they owned them. Figured it was partially just complainers. dang expensive for a tank mount but if it works then whatever. Guess I could always test it on a dry 20g long I have and if I don’t like it return before it touches water and just hang it.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BRS doesn't own those companies. They are all sister companies, under a venture capital firm. The point of the VC is to squeeze every bit of value out of these companies, lean them out, and then flip them to the highest bidder once they make them look good to investors. This is not a benefit to consumers, so keep that in mind.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge you're going to have getting an even spread across 30" with a single light is going to mean mounting high, which will give your crazy light spill since your dimension front to back is only 12". Consider starting with a single bar light. I'd suggest looking at the Quanta Pro lights. Very high quality, good value, and supporting a small business with good customer service. They can easily be hung from the ceiling and also will be useful on a larger tank in the future.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The challenge you're going to have getting an even spread across 30" with a single light is going to mean mounting high, which will give your crazy light spill since your dimension front to back is only 12". Consider starting with a single bar light. I'd suggest looking at the Quanta Pro lights. Very high quality, good value, and supporting a small business with good customer service. They can easily be hung from the ceiling and also will be useful on a larger tank in the future.
So I see they have 2 foot and 3 foot, would the 2 foot bars be ok at appropriate mount height? For this price could easily get two bars to start also.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll throw out a suggestion for a single light fixture with a tank mount included

Reefbreeders photon 24

Coverage Area SPS:
30" x 24"
Coverage Area Mixed Reef:
36" x 24"

No shadowing since it’s not point based. Done call it a day and enjoy

I had a photon 36 over a 40b and it worked great for any type of coral anywhere in the tank

I rub a photon 48 over my 75 and it also does great and supports any coral

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 150 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back