Receding LPS

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my LPS but not all appear to either be receding or have some issue as the skeleton is poking through what looks to be otherwise healthy tissue. This seems to be primarily happening to some Acan frags I got from WWC in the last month or two. I also have a favites frag from WWC as well that is receding significantly as well. A bowerbanki frag is experiencing some of the skeleton poking through what appears to be healthy tissue. Other acans I have in the tank that have been in for a while seem to be doing fine, as are blastos, euphyllia, and a large lobo. I am also seeing a little skeleton poking through the tissue in a bleeding apple scoly however, another red scoly I have seems to be doing just fine. This is a mixed tank with SPS, LPS, zoas etc.

The tank is a Waterbox 130.4, just did a 25g water change yesterday. Dosing BRS calcium chloride, soda ash, and magnesium as needed. Any thoughts on what is causing this? What should I be looking for in terms of water parameters to indicate something is off course? I can snap some pictures if necessary.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, feed 1-2x/ week with Reef Roids and spot feed with some brine.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen, yes they do for the most part as long as the fish don't steal it. So you're saying the Reef Roids is not an effective form of feeding for most LPS? Is it possible a water parameter could be off? If so, which one(s) should I look at?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have seen, yes they do for the most part as long as the fish don't steal it.
We have the same problem with our fish. Also the mini brittle stars and the bristle worms will pull it off. When my wife feeds she has to gaurd the food to ensure that the polyps fully engulf the food. She also tries to get as many polyps as possible.

So you're saying the Reef Roids is not an effective form of feeding for most LPS?
Not for LPS no. Maybe some gonipora species and only target fed not broadcast. IMO reef roids doesn't really help anything other than adding nutrients to the water which for me is good, but I find there are better ways. Be warned my reef is mature so it consumes nitrate pretty fast. If your reef is new the roids might overwhelm your nutrient uptake system.

Is it possible a water parameter could be off? If so, which one(s) should I look at?
It is possible. Check the big three Alk, Ca, Mag. As long as they are near "seawater" levels you should be good. LPS are less fussy about water parameters than SPS. I think it is because they can get a lot of things they need through the direct feeding.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have the same problem with our fish. Also the mini brittle stars and the bristle worms will pull it off. When my wife feeds she has to gaurd the food to ensure that the polyps fully engulf the food. She also tries to get as many polyps as possible.

Not for LPS no. Maybe some gonipora species and only target fed not broadcast. IMO reef roids doesn't really help anything other than adding nutrients to the water which for me is good, but I find there are better ways. Be warned my reef is mature so it consumes nitrate pretty fast. If your reef is new the roids might overwhelm your nutrient uptake system.

It is possible. Check the big three Alk, Ca, Mag. As long as they are near "seawater" levels you should be good. LPS are less fussy about water parameters than SPS. I think it is because they can get a lot of things they need through the direct feeding.

Thanks, I will try the targeted direct feeding method. Any advice on best ways to do that? I will also check the big three and report parameters - I know Alk can fluctuate throughout the day, is there a better time to check that?

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
I would just do a full test if you have all the kits for it...better to be safe than sorry. Btw, is everything being affected or only them?

El_reverde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
3   1   0
And for the big 3 do it during lighting period and a few hrs after or first thing in the morning before lights ON.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed?

I think this. Without direct feeding or source of meaty food I find that many LPS will start looking this way. Try chopped mysid once or twice a week at night when polyp out. Might have to turn the pumps off till they get it in their mouth. For fish or shrimp that bother you may have to provide a cover of some sort, I use a mp10 wet side cover to “cage” certain coral that eat slowly. Fortunately everything you said eats very quickly should only take 5 mins or so

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the info. Going to try feeding this evening when lights go out. How long do you think it would take before I am able to notice an improvement?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for all the info. Going to try feeding this evening when lights go out. How long do you think it would take before I am able to notice an improvement?
If you are getting food solidly into the mouths you should see a difference in a few days.

Good luck happy reefing :)

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the results from my tests, lights come on at 10a and tests were conducted just before 2p CST.
Ph 8.02
Salinity 1.023
Cal 420
Alk 8
Mag - need to get a new kit from LFS mine is out
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate - 5-10ppm

Let me know if anything stands out. Will update with Magnesium when I get a new kit from LFS today or tomorrow.

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey you should have phosphates in your water. If your at zero then that Is a HUGE problem. Phosphates are fertilizers, too much can kill but not enough will starve your corals especially lps. Lps slow eat themselves as they starve causing somewhat what you are describing. Maintain a stable amount of phosphates and you might see a huge difference.

Edit:As for feeding I would do so but also keep in mind that if you are force feeding or overfeeding some of these corals it can also cause stress. Sometimes fish will steal food from them and that can also bother these corals

Last edited:

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, run an ICP test. Could be come of the trace elements are too high.

I had similar problem that acans kept receding. It got worse if I skip water change. My test shown the aluminum is way too high. It's likely the marine pure block is leaking it. So I took them out and do several large what changes. Several weeks later, they all look a lot more happy now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back