Recently cycled tank algae bloom

corsicoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I recently completed the cycling process for my new small tank, which I intend to use as a quarantine tank in the future. The cycling took approximately 7 weeks to establish a stable environment.

This tank is a simple 8-gallon setup with a substrate composed of MarcoRocks reef saver and a gravel bed. To jumpstart the cycling, I introduced a saltwater-acclimated molly fish, and also included some water and a small piece of live rock from my well-established main reef tank (45 gal, mix of SPS and LPS).

Currently, the tank's water parameters appear to be stable and reasonable good. However, I've encountered an unusual algae bloom that I'm struggling to identify. This algae is red in color, not slimy in texture, and has a powdery consistency that seems to encrust the surfaces of both the gravel and the rock. Strangely, I've found it impossible to clean or even scrape it off.

I have attached some pictures for reference.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice on how to address and manage this algae issue. Thank you in advance for your help.

IMG_20230905_091655.jpg IMG_20230905_091648.jpg IMG_20230904_225913.jpg IMG_20230904_225856.jpg

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
New tank syndrome. This is the ugly before the pretty’s. Every tank goes through a new algae phase at the beginning. Algae thrives off lighting. You can try to eliminate the lights considering there is currently no live stock in there and attempt to starve it out. I wouldn’t worry about it to much honestly

OP
OP
C

corsicoreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I'm just surprised and so puzzle to identify what kind of algae is this...
As I mentioned cannot scrape off or try to clean it.
Thanks

Danny99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend you to just leave it like it is, don’t do anything. It’ll go away itself sooner or later. I’ve made a mistake by putting my corals within a month and a half, while it was still in the maturing process. Give it few weeks more to establish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 45 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back