Recharge anion media

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long have you been recharging? Ive been re-buying for 10 years.... So embarrassing

Also what is your method ?
I have done 3 or 4 times.
For just anion, mix the lye, dump in the Resin, (it immediately changes color [recharges]) and rinse with RODI. After repacking I run it until it returns to <3.

If it is a mixed bed, I follow the instructions post in #4 I attached.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This.

Screenshot_20220819-124115_Chrome.jpg
That looks like the same amount to do the density separation if not even more. I guess ill just buy this stuff in bulk so its way cheaper.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This is the exact solution I've been searching for. I'm on a well and the CO2 from the well exhausts my anion when making about 100 gallons of water. My system is 850 gallons so between water changes and RODI top off ( 5 Gallons a day ) I barely get 1 1/2 weeks out of an Anion resin fill. I run 3 anions in a row along with a cation and a mixed bed to keep my tds to a minimum before having to change out. Thanks so much for posting this thread.

This is going to save me sooooo much money.
100G! thats terrible. I would do something to aerate it first. maybe get a big jug and put an aerator in it or CO2 absorbent then pump the water through the RODI.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I kinda wonder if we even need anion media at all. seems like there really isnt much to worry about with anions. especially considering the RO has already taken it down to about 10TDS. I mean going through all this trouble to filter CO2 out??? I bet running just Cation media would be fine.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda wonder if we even need anion media at all. seems like there really isnt much to worry about with anions. especially considering the RO has already taken it down to about 10TDS. I mean going through all this trouble to filter CO2 out??? I bet running just Cation media would be fine.

The problem is that the product would be super acidic because you swapped H+ for every positively charged ion such as sodium or calcium. It’s then like a mix of hydrochloric and sulfuric and other acids.

OP
OP
face

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The problem is that the product would be super acidic because you swapped H+ for every positively charged ion such as sodium or calcium. It’s then like a mix of hydrochloric and sulfuric and other acids.
I guess you could add a small amount of lye in the end to balance it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could add a small amount of lye in the end to balance it.

Yes, but that is then a careful balancing act requiring more work.

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, a mixed bed or cation media after the anion.
Are you saying ignore the TDS reading after the anion resin (mine is cation, then anion, then mixed bed)? For example, my tds after anion is 8 but after the mixed bed is zero. But for some reason my mixed bed isn’t burning out fast at all. Do I have zero tds? Do I need to worry about the 8 tds going in or is this a false reading somehow.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying ignore the TDS reading after the anion resin (mine is cation, then anion, then mixed bed)? For example, my tds after anion is 8 but after the mixed bed is zero. But for some reason my mixed bed isn’t burning out fast at all. Do I have zero tds? Do I need to worry about the 8 tds going in or is this a false reading somehow.

Yes, the tds will always rise after any single resin. The reason is that the H+ or OH- swapped in are more conductive than any ions they are replacing.

It drops to zero after the second bed.m, just as it drops to zero after a mixed bed.

bumpyj38

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the tds will always rise after any single resin. The reason is that the H+ or OH- swapped in are more conductive than any ions they are replacing.

It drops to zero after the second bed.m, just as it drops to zero after a mixed bed.
Ok. So my TDS is still 8 after it has passed through cation and anion. This would mean one of them is doing nothing then correct? It is only after passing through the 3rd canister (mixed bed) that it becomes zero.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So my TDS is still 8 after it has passed through cation and anion. This would mean one of them is doing nothing then correct? It is only after passing through the 3rd canister (mixed bed) that it becomes zero.

It means one or both is not doing its job completely.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

after the mixed bed mine goes to a 5 gallon holding tank. any advantages to put in a sediment filter after the mixed bed or naw . I have a 6 stage and I did add a dirt and sediment filter right before the cation filters. thanks

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after the mixed bed mine goes to a 5 gallon holding tank. any advantages to put in a sediment filter after the mixed bed or naw . I have a 6 stage and I did add a dirt and sediment filter right before the cation filters. thanks
No, the water is done after the next bed.
Are you saying you go through the RO filter and then go through a dirt and sediment filter? Those should be before the RO filter.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the exact solution I've been searching for. I'm on a well and the CO2 from the well exhausts my anion when making about 100 gallons of water. My system is 850 gallons so between water changes and RODI top off ( 5 Gallons a day ) I barely get 1 1/2 weeks out of an Anion resin fill. I run 3 anions in a row along with a cation and a mixed bed to keep my tds to a minimum before having to change out. Thanks so much for posting this thread.

This is going to save me sooooo much money.
I'm on well with high co2. I make straight RO into a brute and aerate for at least 24 hours then pump through di at a slow rate advised by spectrapure. I've made no less than 1000 gallons on di this way and it reads 0 still

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on well with high co2. I make straight RO into a brute and aerate for at least 24 hours then pump through di at a slow rate advised by spectrapure. I've made no less than 1000 gallons on di this way and it reads 0 still
I'm also on well water with high CO2. I just want my water done so I go through the RO and then a casion and anion then to a mixed bed. The only thing I really need to do is run the anion through lye water every four or five batches of water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back