Recirculating co2-scrubber and ozone in skimmer?

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions/thoughts about combining a (partially) recirculating co2-scrubber with ozone in my skimmer.
Look at pictures below.

The inlet of the skimmer has a t-connection, where one end (1) goes to the ozonator and the other one (2) goes to the outlet of the co2-scrubber.
The air passes through the skimmer body, and goes through the co2-removing media (3) inside the container that is glued on top of the skimmer cup lid.

After this stage air can go through either the connection leading back (4) to the skimmer inlet, or out of the "loop" through the vent connection (5). The function of this connection is to let some air escape and allow "fresh" air to go in via the ozonator, and keep redox high.

The connection on the scrubber (4) that goes back to the skimmer inlet has a valve that right now is almost fully opened. The function of this valve is to be able to limit how much air that is being recirculated.

The vent connection (5) also has a valve to control how much air that is being recirculated

I've checked that air is being sucked through the ozonator (1). Some air also escape through the "vent connection" (5).

Now... Is there any problem occurring with this setup? Does anyone know what happens to the Co2-removing media (sofno lime) when the leftover ozon goes through it?

After installing it pH has gone up and redox have stayed at the previous level.

20210906_175254.jpg 20210906_175300.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can maybe bump the thread for you to see if we can get you some help

TWiSTEDSOCiETY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some questions/thoughts about combining a (partially) recirculating co2-scrubber with ozone in my skimmer.
Look at pictures below.

The inlet of the skimmer has a t-connection, where one end (1) goes to the ozonator and the other one (2) goes to the outlet of the co2-scrubber.
The air passes through the skimmer body, and goes through the co2-removing media (3) inside the container that is glued on top of the skimmer cup lid.

After this stage air can go through either the connection leading back (4) to the skimmer inlet, or out of the "loop" through the vent connection (5). The function of this connection is to let some air escape and allow "fresh" air to go in via the ozonator, and keep redox high.

The connection on the scrubber (4) that goes back to the skimmer inlet has a valve that right now is almost fully opened. The function of this valve is to be able to limit how much air that is being recirculated.

The vent connection (5) also has a valve to control how much air that is being recirculated

I've checked that air is being sucked through the ozonator (1). Some air also escape through the "vent connection" (5).

Now... Is there any problem occurring with this setup? Does anyone know what happens to the Co2-removing media (sofno lime) when the leftover ozon goes through it?

After installing it pH has gone up and redox have stayed at the previous level.

20210906_175254.jpg 20210906_175300.jpg

Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I'm trying to figure out the same thing :)

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out an answer to this? I'm trying to figure out the same thing :)
Well, so far so good ;Shamefullyembarrased
I still have sort of the same setup, with the addition of a motorised ball valve that let's "fresh" air inside the loop if pH gets too high.

But as far as ozone and co2-remover goes they both seems to be working.
Might be more potent if the two weren't mixed together. But it's good enough, sort of.
But I'm always on the hunt for the next upgrade haha! So if you find something interesting please let me know! :)
20211229_090624.jpg

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I remember reading something somewhere that said not run 03 through CO2 media…
I use both but not together.

Used O3 for decades.
Morzone used to make a cheap unit with a simple dial that adjusted the voltage and raised or lowered the output, if a smelt the O3 i turned it down….
Never had an issue

mxreef887

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, so far so good ;Shamefullyembarrased
I still have sort of the same setup, with the addition of a motorised ball valve that let's "fresh" air inside the loop if pH gets too high.

But as far as ozone and co2-remover goes they both seems to be working.
Might be more potent if the two weren't mixed together. But it's good enough, sort of.
But I'm always on the hunt for the next upgrade haha! So if you find something interesting please let me know! :)
20211229_090624.jpg
Did the CO2 media hold up to the ozone? I have an Elite 200 Int skimmer that has an ozone port and I want to run ozone but also recirculate the C02 scrubber.

Back