Recirculating CO2 Scrubber

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to install a recirculating CO2 scrubber. This is going to be paired up with a Simplicity 320 DC skimmer. I’m curious if I bypass the air intake silencer and go straight to the venturi, how will I be able to adjust the air intake adjustment? Added a picture for reference. Only other thing I could think of is drilling a hole in the air intake silencer and just sticking the air line tube straight in? Thanks for the help in advance
3FCF8DB8-16A9-41FD-A7A1-7182A48A627F.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to install a recirculating CO2 scrubber. This is going to be paired up with a Simplicity 320 DC skimmer. I’m curious if I bypass the air intake silencer and go straight to the venturi, how will I be able to adjust the air intake adjustment? Added a picture for reference. Only other thing I could think of is drilling a hole in the air intake silencer and just sticking the air line tube straight in? Thanks for the help in advance
Do you have a picture of the actual silencer to see how the air gets into it. My skimmer silencer has a nipple sticking out that a hose can go over

OP
OP
CO2TLEY

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of the actual silencer to see how the air gets into it. My skimmer silencer has a nipple sticking out that a hose can go over
Thanks for the reply
C9DE8EA8-3059-4B50-AC4F-557E766F2A6B.png

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all skimmers come with an air intake adjustment. If you plan on doing a recirculating co2 scrubber then you take the silencer off and tube. attach new tube to the venturi then into the co2 scrubber then into a small cup then into the lid of the skimmer.

Simple drawing.

OP
OP
CO2TLEY

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all skimmers come with an air intake adjustment. If you plan on doing a recirculating co2 scrubber then you take the silencer off and tube. attach new tube to the venturi then into the co2 scrubber then into a small cup then into the lid of the skimmer.

Simple drawing.
Thanks for clearing that up. What can I use to create a drip cup? I also purchased a lid attachment from FishOfHex to be able to connect the air line tubing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would not use a pure recirculating scrubber because it gives up on the oxygenation benefit of a skimmer.

If I were to use one, I'd at least find a way to have a portion of the air entering the skimmer be fresh (unrecirculated) air.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clearing that up. What can I use to create a drip cup? I also purchased a lid attachment from FishOfHex to be able to connect the air line tubing
I use the same attachment from fish of hex. You can use anything like a pee cup that corals come in sometimes (what i use) or a peanut butter jar.

OP
OP
CO2TLEY

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I would not use a pure recirculating scrubber because it gives up on the oxygenation benefit of a skimmer.

If I were to use one, I'd at least find a way to have a portion of the air entering the skimmer be fresh (unrecirculated) air.
I use the same attachment from fish of hex. You can use anything like a pee cup that corals come in sometimes (what i use) or a peanut butter jar.
Thanks for the help

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Simple drawing.
Hi, I know this is old but I want to renew it cause this is the skimmer I have and I want to setup a Icecap co2 scrubber without recirculating.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am reading this, and definitely value your opinion, so I have a question. I have a reef octo 2000 HOB skimmer, and just purchased a Ice Cap small scrubber. How would you recommend the set up for these? I was planning on removing the silencer, and running the hose from the skimmer pump straight to the scrubber out flow. Would that suffice?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading this, and definitely value your opinion, so I have a question. I have a reef octo 2000 HOB skimmer, and just purchased a Ice Cap small scrubber. How would you recommend the set up for these? I was planning on removing the silencer, and running the hose from the skimmer pump straight to the scrubber out flow. Would that suffice?

I’ve not used these, but does any fraction of fresh air enter the skimmer?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it comes in thru the silencer

So if there is fresh air continually entering that is not recirculated, then it sounds like a fine plan. Even 10% of the air being fresh and not recirculated is likely adequate.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump..still looking for help with this. I'm kot trying to recirculating method. Just want simple hookup. Have the same skimmer as OP, the image above. I have an icecap co2 scrubber. Hiw do connect the hoses?

Roadkillstewie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a line from output of the scrubber to the venturi... if you want to be able to adjust air amount, place an adjustable valve with a line to the intake of the scrubber.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back