Recomendations on a tripod?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using a $50 tripod from Walmart made by Targus. I'd like to get a decent tripod, preferably with a boom, that doesn't break the bank. I'm looking to spend a max of about $200. Anyone have any recommendations?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I use the same $50 one you use from Walmart and it works fine for me. If you don't take pics very often, like me, it works out fine.

Good luck on your search :)

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $50, it works well, but I take a lot of pictures and the biggest thing I want is the boom arm to help with top down shots. My hands are shaky, so I have a hard time getting clear top down macro shots

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd also look around on B&H for options as well. I'd assume most of them would be standard and fit most cameras. They should have a wide selection. That is where I got both of my extra lenses from.

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manfrotto makes good Tripods.

Are you using one with a boom arm? I'm checking out the Manfrotto 420B with the sand beg to balance the boom. It looks like it would do the job, but I don't know that much about boom tripods

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manfrotto, Bogen and Gitzo are a few good brands (Manfrotto makes Bogen). Keep in mind on most of the more expensive ones, you have to buy the head separately.

CJ

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The manfrotto I was looking at on Amazon included the head and was just under $200. I think I'm going to try that one seeing as I have a $100 amazon gift certificate

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend as much as you can afford on a tripod. A good one will last you for many years. I paid $250 for my largest tripod 30 years ago and it's still serving me well.

The difference between a good tripod and a cheap one is whether the head and legs are separate. If the head is permanently attached to the legs, it's probably not a good investment. Get a quality ball head that will hold more weight than your heaviest camera/lens combination. The ball head should have a quick release mechanism. You'll also want to decide which type of mechanism you prefer for extending/collapsing the legs. There are several types, but the two basics are some type of flip lever and the twist mechanism. I prefer the flip levers because I think they're faster. Also consider the maximum height of the tripod/legs. It should be able to extend to a height that is taller than you and be able to get very low to the ground if you are going to do any macro shooting. The main column should also be reversible. My tripods are Bogen/Manfrotto. They're well built and serve me well under heavy use. Gitzo is another top-quality brand. I suggest you go to a good camera store and try out legs and heads to find the combination you want.
Gary

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice Gary! The closest decent camera shop is about an hour away, but when I was searching for Manfrotto tripods online, I came up with results on the website for sears. It doesn't soecify if they are online only, but does anyone know if they stock them in Sears stores?

slovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order a Manfrotto from B&H and call it good. The 055XPROB is aluminum so it will be a bit heavier than the carbon fiber tripods. But it is a tried and true tripod. Plus it has the horizontal center column feature so it is great for top down photography.

Cyberskrimps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order a Manfrotto from B&H and call it good. The 055XPROB is aluminum so it will be a bit heavier than the carbon fiber tripods. But it is a tried and true tripod. Plus it has the horizontal center column feature so it is great for top down photography.

I use a Slik 500hd. Check out the Slik 500 series tripods. I too, was looking at the Manfrotto with the boom arm but went with the Slik for its solid reviews and its 2way drag controls for when I shoot video.(500HD nice head for video and photo)

Amazon.com: Slik Pro 500HD Tripod With 500DX Leg & SH-736HD Head 615-501 615501: Electronics

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll check them out. that drag control sounds like a nice feature to look for!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend as much as you can afford on a tripod. A good one will last you for many years. I paid $250 for my largest tripod 30 years ago and it's still serving me well.

The difference between a good tripod and a cheap one is whether the head and legs are separate. If the head is permanently attached to the legs, it's probably not a good investment. Get a quality ball head that will hold more weight than your heaviest camera/lens combination. The ball head should have a quick release mechanism. You'll also want to decide which type of mechanism you prefer for extending/collapsing the legs. There are several types, but the two basics are some type of flip lever and the twist mechanism. I prefer the flip levers because I think they're faster. Also consider the maximum height of the tripod/legs. It should be able to extend to a height that is taller than you and be able to get very low to the ground if you are going to do any macro shooting. The main column should also be reversible. My tripods are Bogen/Manfrotto. They're well built and serve me well under heavy use. Gitzo is another top-quality brand. I suggest you go to a good camera store and try out legs and heads to find the combination you want.
Gary

Great advice Gary - I will keep this in mind when i decide to upgrade too. I think i am using the same walmart tripod Swanny is using but for now it serves its purpose.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back