Recommend me a replacement skimmer pump

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euroreef cs180 with a ehime 1260 needle wheel pump. The impeller is not long for this world and replacement impellersare about $140 if you can find one.

I have a sedra 5000 pump that I tried on it and it really doesn’t fill the chamber

I’d like to just put a new pump on it. It’s a very well crafted skimmer and I like it.

What pump could you reccomend for me that is more powerful then a sedra 5000? I think I might like a controllable DC pump as I am kinda shooting blind here and it might be useful to be able to trim the output to meet my needs.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at these.sp3 needle wheel red devil pump. I was going to post a link,but they revised the price.Went from 59$ to 149$ forget it it's a hobby pump.

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of a DC skimmer pump, perhaps the Reef Octopus VarioS-6s skimmer pump would work.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/varios-6s-controllable-dc-skimmer-pump.html

However, based on price, I’d still go with the Eheim replacement needlewheel impeller.
Those are actually 2 of the 3 options I have been considering

Replacement pro: drop-in solution I know will work. Cons: it’s basically 1/2 the price of a varioS-6S and the ehime pump body has to be 10 years old, when will that go?

VarioS-6S. Pros: new, more effect, better skimate? Better pump? adjusable. Cons: It’s 3 hundred and fifty freaking dollars, need to adapt the output to the euroreef

Modify a jebao DCP6500 pros: under $100, fun project, dc controllable, more efficient? Better skimmate? Cons: it’s a Jebao and all that goes with that.

My impeller was mesh modded some time before I got it and as such the impeller is literally held to the magnet with JBweld and superglue becaus it broke apart a few months ago andI fixed it LOL

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a euroreef cs180 with a ehime 1260 needle wheel pump. The impeller is not long for this world and replacement impellersare about $140 if you can find one.

I have a sedra 5000 pump that I tried on it and it really doesn’t fill the chamber

I’d like to just put a new pump on it. It’s a very well crafted skimmer and I like it.

What pump could you reccomend for me that is more powerful then a sedra 5000? I think I might like a controllable DC pump as I am kinda shooting blind here and it might be useful to be able to trim the output to meet my needs.

The problem with upgrading your skimmer is the size of the intake of the skimmer body. The pumps output is so small compared to most skimmer pumps on the market today. The VarioS 6s has a 1.25in output. Do you know what size your skimmer pumps output is?

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with upgrading your skimmer is the size of the intake of the skimmer body. The pumps output is so small compared to most skimmer pumps on the market today. The VarioS 6s has a 1.25in output. Do you know what size your skimmer pumps output is?
That is actually the problem. My skimmer takes a 1” input which means either I need to cut the body and replumb it for 1 1/4 or step down the output which can’t be good. I was thinking about some sort of funneling adapter but that would require room in the sump.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re brave enough and have acces to a drill press, use a 2” hole saw run in reverse to cut into the skimmer cylinder so it could accommodate a 1-1/4” uniseal.

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped $100 on a 2,000 GPH jebao, it will bolt right up and I’ll mesh mod the stock impeller, keep my eheim as a spare and keep an eye out for a spare eheim needlewheel.

thanks for he help :)

chevegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dropped $100 on a 2,000 GPH jebao, it will bolt right up and I’ll mesh mod the stock impeller, keep my eheim as a spare and keep an eye out for a spare eheim needlewheel.

thanks for he help :)

Please let me know how this turns out. I wanted to try this instead of replacing the sicce 2500 with the 1000. I like the idea of the control. Plus I already have 1 as my return pump so they can share battery backups.

OP
OP
five.five-six

five.five-six

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know how this turns out. I wanted to try this instead of replacing the sicce 2500 with the 1000. I like the idea of the control. Plus I already have 1 as my return pump so they can share battery backups.
It worked well, I was hesitant to post accolades of a jebao product in the reef octopus vendors forum. They pay a lot of money for this forum and I think it would be inappropriate.

I did post a play by play by play with photos of the modification and results in my build thread. Depending on your settings page 3. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/s...udget-challenge-aka-a-really-bad-idea.325724/

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back