Recommendation for Effective Budget Inline UV Sterilizer/Clarifier alternative to Green Killing Machine?

Lovergasoline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a freshwater 37 gallon tank with a single adult turtle (Red Ear Slider).
I currently have an algae bloom which is a once or twice a year occurrence (tank is mounted in window) which although annoying is manageable.

I've been using a Green Killing Machine with the 9 watt UV bulb (recommended for 50-200L aquariums) whenever I get an algae bloom. This time after 3+ weeks and no discernible improvement I checked and noticed the bulb was dead (LED indicator light was off and I had not checked this). I'd replaced the UV bulb (around $35) last year so got only approx. 2-3 weeks usage before it died. Thus, the operational costs can be a little pricey for this unit.

The other problem is that it's an in-tank unit and its water intake port is small (approx. 1.5" x 0.5") so the little foam filter over the intake clogs very rapidly in my turtle tank due to turtles being very messy eaters with inevitable debris in the tank. No intake foam mods have remedied this and further my turtle likes to attack the foam visciouly and remove because he takes patrolling his his tank very seriuously, lol.

Based on that I think an inline UV sterilizer (or clarifier?) that's mounted outside the tank would be a better solution for this application. I could just leave it installed but turned off, and on the rare occasion I get an algea bloom I can switch it on to sterilize the water. I have a Oase BioMaster Thermo 600 canister filter so I'm unclear on compatibility of inline UV sterilizers and their specifications working with my filter. My understanding is that a specific water volume needs to be adequately exposed to the UV light and I assume this is achieved via some combo of the design of the unit's bulb-to-water surface area and also the water flow rate.

Anyway sorry for the longish post but can anyone recommend a budget priced inline UV unit that would work with my set up and serve my occasional needs? There's lots of very well made and seriously competant units - which are priced to reflect that - but for usage a week or two a year that's overkill. My turtle is very robust so I don't have to worry about damage to extremely sensitive life forms in the tank getting threatened by the algae, it's more an aesthetic issue.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may consider the Coralife Turbo Twist. I used them when I needed a bargain UV. They produced decent results. Overall, they were good not great (which is what I would expect for the price). A small pump needs to be purchased seperately.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife Turbo Twist is my go to also for UV. They’ve had the same design for years, without feeling the need to change it. Working with UV in the HVAC Industry, it’s a very good design with swirling the water around the UV. When replacing the Lamp, only use a Coralife Lamp. The Knock-offs are junk. Also don’t assume you know how to take it apart, get the instructions out.

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just watch out with cheap uv sterilizers man, the plastic tends to degrade by the bulb and fine plastic dust can build up in the bottom of the uv or be pumped back into your tank, i always just ran some floss in the end of the pipe but watch out

and if its a fresh water tank algae blooms in fresh water tend to go away by themselves or could be due to tds problems in your water supply ( australian tap water is super freaking high in tds in some months)

my african cichlid tank had a 3 month bloom which went away on its own

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for your Algae Blooms, have you tried Barley Straw? I used that on a fresh water tank, many years ago, and it worked like a charm.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back