Recommendation for HOB UV for 90g (bacteria)

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at a few, some say up to 70g so not sure if it will still be effective.
I need a Hob UV sterilizer for my 90g fowlr. bacteria bloom has been confirmed and been struggling the past few weeks with it. I have 0 room in my sump for one, (unless you can run it inside the display but would rather not)
Any suggestions for me?

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked at a few, some say up to 70g so not sure if it will still be effective.
I need a Hob UV sterilizer for my 90g fowlr. bacteria bloom has been confirmed and been struggling the past few weeks with it. I have 0 room in my sump for one, (unless you can run it inside the display but would rather not)
Any suggestions for me?
Or actually a uv I can hang on the cabinet below and plumb it into the sump, I just cant one that's fully submerged.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions for me?
1620396989307.png

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1620396989307.png

1620396989307.png
I did look at this one, but it says only up to 75g for saltwater. Would it still be effective for a 90g is my question

Jacaine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha.... that may be tough without major creativity or a sump.

Any suggestions for me?
Have you looked into a canister uv sterilizer. There is a couple different brands online. Some not to expensive.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a canister uv sterilizer. There is a couple different brands online. Some not to expensive.
Those are almost always geared toward freshwater systems (Saltwater UV requires more light to be effective see chart below)...im certain you will not like the performance on a marine system.

1620406308325.png

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have peeked at a few! I'm honestly liking the Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer that's like $230. It's 15w so I'm thinking about calling the company to see if a 15w would work for the 90g because I really don't have the money for the 25w which is $400 o_O I have no problem spending that much, I just don't have that much to spend lol. No idea where I'm going to put the pump for it though, my tiny sump Is packed to the max with a protein skimmer and biopellet reactor there's 0 room for an additional pump. In short I need a bigger sump but that's not really in the budget right now either

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are almost always geared toward freshwater systems (Saltwater UV requires more light to be effective see chart below)...im certain you will not like the performance on a marine system.

1620406308325.png
Well that's the same for the Hob one too. Any uv sterilizer you get is less for saltwater. I don't have $400 to spend right now though :( going to call the company to see if a 15 watt would be okay.

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went ahead and called the company and they said I'd have to buy the 25w rated for 150g saltwater. So I did. Put it on the credit card xD
212472-aquaultraviolet-57w-uvsterilizer-filtration-fr.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back