OP
J

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you see any other gems. I know it's hard to tell and most don't seem to have model numbers on them.

IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

OP
OP
J

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any reviews on Reef Concepts Aerofoamer 830 or 848?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me re-phrase that since I missed most of those pics before I wrote.....

Stay away from anything that has thumbscrews holding it together.

IMO the AquaC's and the Tunze are the best skimmers in the crowd......only the AquaC's would work for your tank though.

The EV240 or EV400 would be the best bets for your system......the 240 would need the bigger pump and inlet nozzle (from AquaC) if it doesn't already have it. The EV400 would probably be "the correct size".

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me re-phrase that since I missed most of those pics before I wrote.....

Stay away from anything that has thumbscrews holding it together.

IMO the AquaC's and the Tunze are the best skimmers in the crowd......only the AquaC's would work for your tank though.

The EV240 or EV400 would be the best bets for your system......the 240 would need the bigger pump and inlet nozzle (from AquaC) if it doesn't already have it. The EV400 would probably be "the correct size".
I actually had two Aqua C EV-240 with mag 18 pumps on my 300 gallon system. Still have one of them but using pump for my return until I change it out. They can be in sump or external. Does he want in sump or external, under the stand or where. How much noise, what room is everything going to be in. I would love to sell my EV-240 that I still have. I switched it out for a Reef Dynamics INS-450 which I think runs circles around the Aqua C but they are not available new any longer. For 300 gallon he has a lot of choices in a price range of $600-800. he needs to really plan stand sump and skimmer at the same time. If he goes with needle wheel skimmer, with pumps outside of chamber not space savers my preference, in the sump they can take up a lot of sump space. Ease of maintenance of pumps and cup removal along with proper sizing is important. Don't forget customer service and parts.

OP
OP
J

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually starting to consider a ReefConcepts Aerofoamer 830 topless that I can get a great deal on. I hear it's a beast. My biggest concern is having to run on such a large pump and the energy cost. Some have mentioned that the large pump will cause some added heat. I was hoping to avoid a chiller.

Im either going to do a in wall tank or have the filtration in another room, so the size isn't a big deal.

Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually starting to consider a ReefConcepts Aerofoamer 830 topless that I can get a great deal on. I hear it's a beast. My biggest concern is having to run on such a large pump and the energy cost. Some have mentioned that the large pump will cause some added heat. I was hoping to avoid a chiller.

Im either going to do a in wall tank or have the filtration in another room, so the size isn't a big deal.

Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer?

I have never used one but it is a common design. I think unless you can get the skimmer almost free and a great price on the pump there are a lot of choices. Don't know about topless and if it causes problems. The List price on the skimmer $850 the pump is $475. For that kind of money you have a big choice.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to that roomful of skimmers! If you're going to run an old design, at least go for an original like one of those AquaC's!

Or one of the ETSS's pictured if you really want an excuse to run a BIG skimmer. :) Awesome skimmers with awesome requirements. :) :) :)

Once of those skimmers in the pics purchased used would be a smart budget move....many good options, and a few great ones. :)

Certainly for the price you're talking now if it were me I'd be looking first at the Tunze 9415 and making comparisons from there.

It has a number of standout features, not least of which are it's low height, easy of cleaning and low-low power usage. It is definitely a beast. ;Panda

Worth noting that he has the smaller Tunze 9410 in his "inventory" if you wanted to get that to try out before bringing home the big brother. It's rated up to 265 Gallons, so would definitely be undersized in the long run, but it'd be fine to start with as a test unit. :)

Here's my rundown on those pics:

For your tank, I like the AquaC EV-series pictured here.

Another sweet EV series.

I like that ETSS and that AquaC!

I see some more ETSS's in the back there!!!!

The Tunze 9410 I mentioned and another AquaC EV-series!

Either another ETSS that's been rebuilt/repaired or a clone, but I like it! If that EV-series in the middle can be un-modded, then I like it too!!!

There's nothing I'd want here, but I gotta hand it to this dude – the most colossal/bizarre skimmer collection I've seen. (A I've got somewhat of a collection of my own!)

I take it back, I see an ASM sneaking a peak in the middle of that crowd. Definitely an OK skimmer.

EV-series on the left.

OP
OP
J

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happened to that roomful of skimmers! If you're going to run an old design, at least go for an original like one of those AquaC's!

Or one of the ETSS's pictured if you really want an excuse to run a BIG skimmer. :) Awesome skimmers with awesome requirements. :) :) :)

Once of those skimmers in the pics purchased used would be a smart budget move....many good options, and a few great ones. :)

Certainly for the price you're talking now if it were me I'd be looking first at the Tunze 9415 and making comparisons from there.

It has a number of standout features, not least of which are it's low height, easy of cleaning and low-low power usage. It is definitely a beast. ;Panda

Worth noting that he has the smaller Tunze 9410 in his "inventory" if you wanted to get that to try out before bringing home the big brother. It's rated up to 265 Gallons, so would definitely be undersized in the long run, but it'd be fine to start with as a test unit. :)

Another sweet EV series.

Either another ETSS that's been rebuilt/repaired or a clone, but I like it! If that EV-series in the middle can be un-modded, then I like it too!!!

There's nothing I'd want here, but I gotta hand it to this dude – the most colossal/bizarre skimmer collection I've seen. (A I've got somewhat of a collection of my own!)

I take it back, I see an ASM sneaking a peak in the middle of that crowd. Definitely an OK skimmer.

EV-series on the left.

Actually, the Reef Concepts are part of his collection. He has two 830's and one 848. He suggested one of them for my tank.

IMG_0761.JPG

WP_20160804_14_22_51_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
J

Jcm412

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of all the skimmers pictured, which would you pick?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another sweet EV series.

EV-series on the left.

Out of the used ones he is looking at I agree with your choices. I have owned Aqua C and ETSS, I have never owned a Tunze skimmer but I know they are well liked. An Aqua c EV-400 or EV-1000 done external with largest recommended pump. I found that plumbed through the end of the sump with external pump and quick disconnects they are easier to tune and clean than in the sump. The ETSS was about 20 years ago when I used it. Those 3 have all been around for along time 2 of them the recommend pumps that have also been around a long time.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back