Recommendations for Lighting on my New Tank

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I finally put in the order for my new custom tank that is a room divider but not standard dimensions at 48" x 34" x 31". I am starting to build out the list of everything else I need to get while its built and for lighting I am looking to get some recommendations from anyone who has a deeper tank like this. My initial thought was to put 2 Radion XR30's but then started to doubt that it would be enough light. So then I thought what about 4 XR15's with the lens kit, maybe that would be enough but even then still on the fence about what would work best.

TankSize.png
TopDimensions.png
TankInPlace.png

This is what 4 XR15's would look like over the openings.
4lights_XR15.png

Thanks for any insights or help!

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a very similar tank as yours… but a shallow version.

In my case, I use 2 XR15 and 2 XR30. Yet, these lights came from a previous tank.
Today, I would replace the 2 XR15 by one XR30 for simplicity and less cable.

To have maximum spread, you may see that I use the lights higher than usual (tank is really shallow).

In my opinion, I would start with 2 XR30. In the future, if needed, you may think of a third one or just an additional led bar.

It will all depend on the amount (and type) of corals and where you will position them. Meaning that 2 XR30 can be more than sufficient.

Cheers and let me know if you need something!

790d06d0-727f-455c-acc0-c416d810a3c5.jpeg

d1846a50-e290-4c4a-bc79-48a986be5dc0.jpeg

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you chose Radions over different options?

Because it isn’t “the best” light, and it comes with a price tag that is evident - makes you choose between 4 XR15s vs 2x XR30s.

Why not go with the ReeFi’s instead?
A single Uno 2.0 would cost you about the same as a single XR15, but it packs more power than the XR30, comes with a wider spectrum, and both the 90 and 120 degree reflectors comes with it in the box - so you could start with 2 at 120 deg, and upgrade later to 4 with 90 deg if needed.

PAR wise, you could easily push 500 PAR at spectrum and more on the bottom even at that tank height, so penetration isn’t a problem either.

Edit: I’m lazy (not really, but can”t invest the time right now) to attach photos here, but look at my posts from yesterday, I posted pics from my tanks using it and it shows what these lights are capable of.

Edit2: Here you go

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you chose Radions over different options?

Because it isn’t “the best” light, and it comes with a price tag that is evident - makes you choose between 4 XR15s vs 2x XR30s.

Why not go with the ReeFi’s instead?
A single Uno 2.0 would cost you about the same as a single XR15, but it packs more power than the XR30, comes with a wider spectrum, and both the 90 and 120 degree reflectors comes with it in the box - so you could start with 2 at 120 deg, and upgrade later to 4 with 90 deg if needed.

PAR wise, you could easily push 500 PAR at spectrum and more on the bottom even at that tank height, so penetration isn’t a problem either.

Edit: I’m lazy (not really, but can”t invest the time right now) to attach photos here, but look at my posts from yesterday, I posted pics from my tanks using it and it shows what these lights are capable of.

Edit2: Here you go
Thank and really just started spending time digging in and Radions are just ... everywhere but still looking so going to take a look at the ReeFi and just form your link they look to be great.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a very similar tank as yours… but a shallow version.

In my case, I use 2 XR15 and 2 XR30. Yet, these lights came from a previous tank.
Today, I would replace the 2 XR15 by one XR30 for simplicity and less cable.

To have maximum spread, you may see that I use the lights higher than usual (tank is really shallow).

In my opinion, I would start with 2 XR30. In the future, if needed, you may think of a third one or just an additional led bar.

It will all depend on the amount (and type) of corals and where you will position them. Meaning that 2 XR30 can be more than sufficient.

Cheers and let me know if you need something!

790d06d0-727f-455c-acc0-c416d810a3c5.jpeg

d1846a50-e290-4c4a-bc79-48a986be5dc0.jpeg
Thanks this was very helpful seeing something close to what I will have and how it looks with your setup.. Going to keep digging in and reading / looking as I have a little time before I make a decision.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will likely need twice what a manufacturer recommends to cover that width and depth. I would use a pair of the Photon v2s if I had to use LEDs... maybe stagger a pair of the 32s a bit since you don't need to light the overflow. Otherwise, reflectors are good for wider and deeper tanks.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
For a new tank 2 of the Radion XR30's will be plenty.
I'm assuming that the corals will be new too. As in smaller pieces, compared to large grown in colonies.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank and really just started spending time digging in and Radions are just ... everywhere but still looking so going to take a look at the ReeFi and just form your link they look to be great.
They are indeed very good lights, and can grow coral really well.
But you need to take into account that popular/most expansive != better than everything else.

There's a lot of money involved in their popularity, and it isn't all going into R&D nor the product itself, though you are paying for it.

There are many other good options, not only the Uno 2.0 that I recommended earlier because I own them and I'm biased (it's actually because it's a good competitor, but I'm exaggerating here), there are also other options with various different form factors and their own set of features and strengths.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks this was very helpful seeing something close to what I will have and how it looks with your setup.. Going to keep digging in and reading / looking as I have a little time before I make a decision.
For $1800 you can get 2 white Mitras LX 7206's...
390 total watts..

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three XR30s turned sideways would probably cover well enough. Or do five Blades (3 Grow and 2 Glow) running the length and spaced evenly.

OP
OP
Beef33

Beef33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three XR30s turned sideways would probably cover well enough. Or do five Blades (3 Grow and 2 Glow) running the length and spaced evenly.
Yeah I think if I do go xr30s I may add a couple blades to supplement. Not sure I will go full blades.

So far I am really liking the reefi unos but one issue is I saw a post about not plugging them into things like the apex bar. Which may be a deal breaker as I really want to be able to monitor / know when things are off / not working at a minimum.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think if I do go xr30s I may add a couple blades to supplement. Not sure I will go full blades.

So far I am really liking the reefi unos but one issue is I saw a post about not plugging them into things like the apex bar. Which may be a deal breaker as I really want to be able to monitor / know when things are off / not working at a minimum.
Yea.. odd problem.. From reading below if you have one bar dedicated to the lights it" might" be fine. Or no motors that cause an inductive kickback..
Posted on March 18, 2023 by admin

Warning of power surge damage when plug into controller powerbars​

PSA: Do not plug in your ReeFi into powerbar controller such as Hydros, GHL, Apex, etc. When relay switches on other devices switch off, it can create power surge to the other outlet that are still on, and these powerbars do not isolate the outlets. Ideally they should have put MOV (varistor) to prevent surges from induction backfeed. I have seen 5 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro that have been damaged by power surge. Best is to plug the ReeFi directly to a surge protection power stripe.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, this also applies to the Radions.

Either way you go, I suggest installing an SPD for each fixture connected to the EB to prevent possible surges from damaging the lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back