Recommendations for power head / cross flow for 36"

avocadoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a new Octo Lux T90 that's 35x15x18 internally. It's currently cycling and I'm thinking about what to do for flow (and lighting for that matter).

The tank is in the living room and noise is a top priority. Not sure if I should do one cross flow, a pair of power heads, or what. Any particular recommendations or suggestions?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are usually not that noisy. I sit in front of my tank all day and never had an issue with them (I use 3-4 different kinds, depending on the situation). I’m very sensitive to noise.

Unless you buy a cheap China product, I wouldn’t worry about it. Also, gyre type products are noisier.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats almost the same dimensions as my 40 breeder, I use 2 icecap gyres (in addition to the return flow), I love it, I have perfect flow all through my tank. My gyres run at 50%, so its dead silent.

There are really so many choices that its hard to suggest anything. What ever you decide on though, I always suggest that 2 powerheads are better than 1 all day long.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats almost the same dimensions as my 40 breeder, I use 2 icecap gyres (in addition to the return flow), I love it, I have perfect flow all through my tank. My gyres run at 50%, so its dead silent.

There are really so many choices that its hard to suggest anything. What ever you decide on though, I always suggest that 2 powerheads are better than 1 all day long.
You run 2 gyres in a 40B?

I just installed my new Red Sea Reef Wave 25 tonight...still playing around with it (I have a 40GB also)

Previously I had 2 Aqua ZKSJ Slim Pros with app and 2 Sicce Nanos with great flow...I'm still dialing the Reef Wave in....but so far, even at higher levels, it seems soooo much less.

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 48” L and use a ReefWave 45. I absolutely love it, I want another for the opposite side cause I currently have a MP10 there and it’s not complementing the ReefWave like I want. But as for noise… I can hear the MP10 sometimes, esp on a “pulse” type setting. The reefwave is 100% silent. Based on what you’re asking, I would recommend this for sure. Good cross flow, can adjust each half of the pumps flow direction independently, and dead silent.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back