Recommendations for square tanks?

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm looking for my first reef tank, and I am wanting to start with a tank that is 35-60 gallons, but I have a limited footprint I can put it in. I started off looking at the Red Sea Max 170, as I really like the idea of an AIO tank. But then I've seen that people have had issues with the quality of Red Sea tanks. Then I saw the Cade Pro Reef 600, and I really like the look of that one, but that one has a sump. I'm nervous about the sump overflowing if we have a power outage, which happens from time to time in my rural area. Do you all have any recommendation for any other square tanks that might work for me? I'm looking for something that is roughly 27" square. Thanks for any help!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I'm looking for my first reef tank, and I am wanting to start with a tank that is 35-60 gallons, but I have a limited footprint I can put it in. I started off looking at the Red Sea Max 170, as I really like the idea of an AIO tank. But then I've seen that people have had issues with the quality of Red Sea tanks. Then I saw the Cade Pro Reef 600, and I really like the look of that one, but that one has a sump. I'm nervous about the sump overflowing if we have a power outage, which happens from time to time in my rural area. Do you all have any recommendation for any other square tanks that might work for me? I'm looking for something that is roughly 27" square. Thanks for any help!
Red seas quality issues I believe were mostly contaned to their larger tanks. There are a lot of Max 170 owners out there that are very happy.

As far as your concerns with a sump, So long as your equipment is set up properly, with the correct water level in this sump that allows your tank to drain down into it without overflowing in the case of a power outage, You are at no additional risk.

All in all if I had the option for an overflow with small sump below, I would go that way every time. This allows you to keep a lot of your gear out of view in the tank and focus on your fish and corals.

Ryan3313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get a tank with a sump it shouldn't overflow during a power outage. I have a all in one tank and there's only so much room in the back for equipment. A sump in my opinion would be better.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
I would recommend an Innovative Marine Nuvo 40
Thanks! I looked at that one and it is much less expensive than my other choices. Is this because it doesn't come with everything I'd need? I know it doesn't have a light, but I'm not sure what else I'd need to go with it.

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend an Innovative Marine Nuvo 40
I agree with this…

To answer your question about what you’d need, all their Nuvo tanks include the media basket with some media, a filter sock, and the return pump.
The build quality on these are really nice too. I’m currently in the midst of setting up one of their 30 long tanks.
All you’d really need to basically set up one of these is lighting, a heater, and your power head along with rock and substrate.

Another option are the biocubes by coralife which include the light that’s built into the canopy. I’ve heard great things about them too, but I lack the knowledge to really give you a good opinion on them.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this…

To answer your question about what you’d need, all their Nuvo tanks include the media basket with some media, a filter sock, and the return pump.
The build quality on these are really nice too. I’m currently in the midst of setting up one of their 30 long tanks.
All you’d really need to basically set up one of these is lighting, a heater, and your power head along with rock and substrate.

Another option are the biocubes by coralife which include the light that’s built into the canopy. I’ve heard great things about them too, but I lack the knowledge to really give you a good opinion on them.
Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back