Recommendations on Carbon/GFO Reactor

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a RSR250 and looking for a recommendation on a properly sized carbon and GFO reactor. I would prefer it to be mountable and slightly oversized vs undersized.

Additionally, I will likely run this off a separate pump so I can modulate the flow as well as turn off when desired. Would it be better to use a DC pump with valve for this, or AC with a valve.

Thanks!

Sharkman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guess you’re looking at the deluxe model? That’s what I have only tee’d of my return pump.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Fluval canister filter that I repurposed for a reactor. I kept the sponges to have some additional mechanical filtration (not necessarily for biological filtration) and I run Seachem Matrix in the first chamber, carbon in the second, and Seachem Phosguard in the third. I have all the media in mesh bags. It's been working well for me. Granted, you may not have an old canister filter to repurpose, but it solved the reaction chamber and pump issue in one unit that fits inside my cabinet.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar sized tank to the Red Sea Reefer 250, a Deep Blue 57 gallon rimless at (36x18x20). I went with the BRS Mini reactor and here’s why... Including the sump, let’s say I have 65 gallons in total volume. According to the BRS media calculator, with that water volume, I should be using about a cup of regular GFO and a little less than 1/2 a cup of ROX carbon. So I mix 1/2 cup of ROX carbon and 1/4 cup of GFO in the mini reactor and change it out every two weeks. I don’t have to deal with having to tumble the GFO, there is no shifting of the sponges as it’s fully packed and I don’t have to worry about wasting GFO because I’m using 1/4 e amount so it should exhaust at the same two week rate as my ROX carbon. If I ever want to expand in the future, I have a spare RO canister laying around and all I have to do is buy a 10” media insert. As far as our tank volumes go go however, I believe the the BRS Mini is a perfect match.

BDED7F86-9309-40E4-B165-51D828D2AF1E.jpeg

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back